SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lowwarbler

Cleaning the Honeywell HWM-340 Warm Mist Humidifier

John B
5 years ago

In case this helps anyone, I’ve just finished my first weekly cleaning of the above humidifier. I have well water, which is softened with a sodium-based ion exchanger. I was delighted that no minerals had actually calcified on any of two easily removable plastic pieces (the chimney and the float mechanism) or the main chamber. All of these can be wiped/rinsed clean. However, there was substantial calcified build-up on the top of the heating unit. To make matters more difficult, the little plastic hole that permits water to flow from the reservoir to the heating chamber during operation likewise permitted the cleaning vinegar (straight out of the bottle) to flow back into the reservoir before the top of the heating unit was submerged. After venting a few choice expletives, I remembered that I had duct tape. Trim a narrow piece long enough that you can cover the hole, and have a bit left to grab when you’re done. This worked perfectly. The vinegar did a great number on the very heavy calcification of the top of the heating unit and I’m ready to rinse and fill. This is a great little machine and for me the least problematic of any of the standard humidifier choices for water with substantial mineral content – either from city water or from your softener. Note, if you have a particularly heavy buildup, as I did, you can help it along with a flatheaded screwdriver. Just be sure you don’t gouge the coating on the heating element. Pressure should be out and away, not down. Hope this helps. Also note that the air vents opposite the heating element are also wonderful for allowing rinse water to pour out onto your counter top and floor. Duh. ;)))

Comments (3)