SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bimbomstudios

what is wrong with my ponytail palm? (photos + videos)

Tyler G
5 years ago

This was a beautiful ~15 year old potted ponytail palm (that a friend gave about a year ago. It was always doing fine and in the recent 4 or 5 months has been deteriorating with many of the leaves falling off after becoming yellowed and brown.

I suspected overwatering, but really I never watered it too much. I think the soil may be too tightly packed and moisture may be not getting out. I pulled the whole plant out and saw the roots (unfortunately don't have pictures of those) – they weren't particularly juicy but did not seem rotted either, and were fairly white/light brown. I added a bunch of perlite but still I think what may need to be done is completely repotting with a sandy cactus soil.

Recently I noticed the trunk was getting softer where I'm able to squish it (see video). It almost seems like the bark is separating from the inner core of the trunk. It seems softest at the top, and at the base of the caudex is still a little squishy but not as much. Near the top in the photo and video you can see some of the bark actually peeling away. I noticed gnat flies hovering around which I had never noticed before.

The plant has been losing leaves but the softening of the trunk I only noticed in the last month or so. I really don't want to lose this plant. I honestly can't tell if its starving for water or its rotting. Maybe the first thing I need to do is repot in a cactus mix?

Please see photos + video for more details of the problem

Thank you!

Comments (15)