SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paceituntilyoumakeit

Trying to heat our new old home

One year ago last week we bought a two story 100 year old home In Kentucky. Total square footage is around 3200. We knew the house would need some upkeeping and that we would need to re-insulate the attic and be looking into a new hvac unit for downstairs (we have a newer one upstairs as well). We were a little shell shocked when we got our January electric bill and it was $900. We were running both units, and also ran two gas fireplaces half the time. Mind you, the walls are not insulated, we had old windows upstairs (we replaced this last summer), and a drafty front door (was replaced this Fall).

My question(s) is, which do we approach first? Our heat pump downstairs is over 20+ years old and we recently learned that it is actually a mobile home unit...why someone would put I’m a unit like that, i have no idea. What I also forgot to mention is that we will need new ductwork downstairs. We are on somewhat of a budget and can not afford to insulate the walls and buy a new unit with ductwork all at the same time. So where do we begin? is there a better solution? I loved this home when we bought and do not anymore. i Want to love it again, so any advice is appreciated!

Comments (16)