SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mdnightsky

In over my head refinishing my table

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I recently got the brilliant idea to put a new coat of polyurethane on my dining room table because it was looking old and weathered. I didn't want to go to bear wood, just make the table glossy again. After doing some research, I started by sanding the table with 220 grit paper. It wound up scratching the surface waaay too much. I knew I was going to have to put multiple coats of wipe-on poly to fill in the scratches but I guess I didn't sand enough in between each coat because after 6 coats, it wasn't smooth and had lots of dust settled in. My husband wanted to come to the rescue and sanded the whole thing with 400 grit paper. It's smooth now but all scuffed up. I don't know what to do next - another coat of poly? Keep buffing?? I want a glassy finish and everyone seems to have a different way of finishing a table so I am in desperate need of someone experienced and knowledgeable to tell me **exactly** how to finish my table to a glass finish that's as smooth as possible. Thank you!!!

Comments (9)