SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alycat2018

1920s style cabinets

MD4square
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello, we are adding a big addition onto the back of our red brick Foursquare house built in 1925. We are moving the small kitchen to the back of the house for more space. I'd like to retain the character of the house so we're using details which we've seen in other rooms and from what I've read online about the time period, while still adding the modern conveniences we need for our 5 person family (island w/ prep sink and seating).

My question is, what finishes should we choose for the kitchen? We have original heart pine floors, chestnut (we think) doors, original moldings (but all the trim has been painted white by previous owners). I originally wanted wood-stained cabinets* but all of the homes I've found online when I searched "1920s kitchens" show white cabinets. Also, is it a complete sin to go with a countertop other than soapstone or marble? I was looking at quartz in the same colors/patterns to mimic those materials but would like something with easier upkeep - I've heard soapstone can chip and marble can stain.

It's not exactly an open floor plan but the kitchen will be visible from from the dining room and living room.

Thanks for helping! If you have photos to share, please do!!!

*finishes I chose last time I went to the kitchen store and now questioning. Wood is cherry for perimeter, painted is for island. Subway tile only, not the decorative one. The countertop material is MSI quartz.

Comments (25)