Cooks Illustrated, October 2014 - do you have this issue?
7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (19)
- 7 years ago
Related Discussions
What have you put up in 2014?
Comments (103)I concentrate on preserves and condiments since a lot of this is intended for gifts. 7 jars Cherry jam 9 jars Strawberry jam w/raspberry juice and balsamic vinegar 7 jars raspberry jelly 6 jars Cherry and raspberry jam w/ kirsch 7 jars plus 2 pints Blueberry jam 5 jars Plum and Orange jam with cardemon 5 jars "Peach Preserves for a Cold Morning" 7 jars Tomato chutney 8 jars Peach and Ginger chutney 6 jars Tomato ketchup 7 pts Annie's Salsa 4 pts Pickled beans w/ rosemary and oregano 5 qts Mixed mustard pickles 6 qts Dill pickles 9 pts Sweet pickles 28 qts whole tomatoes In the freezer: (for us) 8 qts Pseudo V-8 juice 10 qt bags of pesto (frozen in ice cubes) 6 qts corn 4 qts Roasted garlic - Tomato pasta sauce Here is what some of it looks like: the shelf unit was a gift from a colleague....See MoreSubstitute for wine recommended by Cook's Illustrated a few years
Comments (9)Ditto on Vermouth (mom used it long before Julia Child popularized it for cooking) I also keep Sherry, Madiera or Port on hand to add when the recipe or marinade requires it. Unsweetened grape juice, actually the must is called Verjus. It's not as easy to locate, but a good sub for some recipes. I also keep a variety of vinegars on hand including fig, balsamic (white & red), orange & other fruits, rice vinegar, red & white wine vinegar and the more common white & cider vinegar. Another idea for cooking wines is to buy those half bottles which have screw tops and keep easily in the fridge between uses....See MoreCook's Illustrated
Comments (24)I agree with Friedajune that the recipes are too salty - they even put salt in dessert recipes that do not need salt at all. I do watch the show, but more for equipment tips than anything else, although on a rare occasion I will learn a tip from one of their techniques. Most of what I see on the show I learned long ago, and their recipes do tend to be on the bland, Americanized side. I make things a lot spicier than they do, which is why I find their recipes boring, but they do appeal to a certain mass audience, which they do identify as American. They were extremely slow to pick up on the "dry salt" method for roasting turkey, and they use way too many brines, which I find dilute the flavors of the meats. Their barbecues are also always too sweet. Anyway - just not my taste, but I do find the show entertaining at times, although I will turn it off if one of the chefs annoys me. I like Christopher, Bridget, Jack, and Adam; Julia is okay, except when she rolls her eyes back in her head during tastings as if in some sort of religious ecstasy a la Teresa de Ávila. There are some younger guys that I never watch, due to their annoying speech habits. One of them begins every sentence with "So" and often with "So Chris..." He has a bit of an attitude problem also, and so I change channels when he comes on. I've watched him so little that I cannot remember his name. Fortunately, he is not on that much....See MoreMaking Mole' from Cook's Illustrated
Comments (28)Oh it IS exciting, and I'll definitely post pictures. Lpinkmountain may join us, if family responsibilities allow, and I've also been in touch with Naturegirl, who would like to meet us and I've not met her, so that's also exciting. I've emailed both of them to try to nail down a day when they can either just meet us here at the farm or go somewhere for lunch and adventure. Lars, I'm sure Elery would very much appreciate your hot sauce and you can try some of mine too. You guys can have your very own tasting and I'll just trust your judgment. (grin) Even if you don't make it all the way to the U.P., I still hope you and Kevin at least make it as far North as Mackinac Island. Although it's very "touristy" now, it's still beautiful and interesting and historic. I also would like to take you to Traverse City, the "Crown Jewel" of Michigan, and let you and Kevin do the winery tours, the Peninsula is astonishingly beautiful and I'm the world's best designated driver. South to Saugatuck for the "art scene" too, and cooking in between! Kevin and Elery can just eat and laugh at us. They are both pretty quiet, but I'm also glad they get along well. Lpink's husband is also a little quiet but a very nice man, so if he's with her I'm sure Kevin would like him also. I don't think all three of them together make as much noise as I do, though, LOL. I may have to do a little canning while you are here, though, as I don't think my garden is going to slow down while I visit... Meanwhile I've made AnnT's scones, they are waiting in the freezer for baking, and I just finished running the dough for pappardelle through the Atlas. I bought fresh local oyster mushrooms today at the farmer's market, as well as some sockeye salmon. I just need to mix up some spices for chicken chorizo to go in the shakshuka... Annie...See More- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGNLove to Cook? We Want to See Your Kitchen
Houzz Call: Show us a photo of your great home kitchen and tell us how you’ve made it work for you
Full Story
ARCHITECTUREModern or Contemporary: What's the Difference?
10 homes illustrate the essence of modern and contemporary home design styles
Full Story
LIFEThe Good House: An Experience to Remember
A home that enriches us is more than something we own. It invites meaningful experiences and connections
Full Story
LIFE10 Ways to Cope With Grief During the Holidays
If you are experiencing loss, take it from an experienced griever — life has changed forever, but it does get better
Full Story
INSIDE HOUZZHouzz Survey: See the Latest Benchmarks on Remodeling Costs and More
The annual Houzz & Home survey reveals what you can expect to pay for a renovation project and how long it may take
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNKey Measurements for Your Kitchen Design
Get the ideal kitchen setup by understanding spatial relationships, dimensions and work zones
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESSurvive Your Home Remodel: 11 Must-Ask Questions
Plan ahead to keep minor hassles from turning into major headaches during an extensive renovation
Full Story
HOLIDAYSChristmas Cleanup Tips for the Not Naturally Organized
Dreading the postholiday chores? First let yourself unwind. Then grab some boxes, a few supplies and this easy guide
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDES13 Risks to Take for True Garden Rewards
Go ahead, be a rebel. Breaking rules in the garden can lead to more happiness, creativity and connection with the earth
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME21 Ways to Waste Less at Home
Whether it's herbs rotting in the fridge or clothes that never get worn, most of us waste too much. Here are ways to make a change
Full Story
annie1992