SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chelsey_smithxo

repose gray or agreeable gray?

Girlmom101
5 years ago

hi everyone!

I'm painting my hall way and bedroom either repose or agreeable gray and am having trouble choosing... does anyone have experience with either of these? we currently have accessible beige throughout most of our house so we deffinately want to stay away from beige. here is bedroom and hallway. I understand we have warm hardwood and laminate floors but I'm hoping a real gray will be ok. thanks!!!!

Comments (113)

• angelicatownshend
    5 years ago

Since it depends on lighting, which is better for repose grey, more natural light or less And which do you have?

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I have a lot of natural light but it is a north facing room.
  • Related Discussions

Need help with paint color in new open concept

Q

Comments (3)
    Unfortunately I can't get good pic today of finished floor with room because there are cabinets/ boxes everywhere and floor is covered. Here are some views taken but not sure if they are very helpful. I'll try to post better later if I can today.
    ...See More

Need help with grey paint!!

Q

Comments (3)
    Our kitchen cabinets are charcoal Choosing colors for the entire house before it's built is risky. But a lot of people have to do it that way. I'd pull two elements to help guide, help inform the wall colors, your flooring and your cabinets. If the wall/ceiling colors coordinate nicely with the floor and cabinets, odds are you're going to be happy with the result. Because you've created a coordinated 'envelope' of floor/cabs/walls/ceiling to hold the contents (all your stuff). And since you can't test the colors in the actual rooms, I'd go with full spectrum paint colors. BenM has Color Stories they only mix it in Aura. Aura is pricey but price it out per square, not per gallon, in order to compare it to cheaper grades and remember the labor costs the same whether they're applying builder's grade or top tier product.
    ...See More

Paint color advice for a low light room, help!!!

Q

Comments (24)
    Honestly I ditched any sort of gray or grayed lavender in my lower light rooms and went with a beautiful coral - BM 2170-60 Sunlit Coral. It’s muted and complex enough to not be sherbet colored, but warm and inviting and goes beautifully with my other rooms. https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/find-your-color/color/2170-60/sunlit-coral?color=2170-60 There are so many beautiful home colors that aren’t gray, especially for north facing rooms.
    ...See More

Mixing painted brick with stone on exterior

Q

Comments (34)
    Wow! That turned out so beautiful! Aren't you happy with the simple roof line. It really shows off the beauty of the house! Which stone brand and color did you use on the porch apron? What color did you use to paint the brick?
    ...See More
  • Home4Here
    5 years ago

Not to throw a wrench in anything, but this is my living room with Revere Pewter on the walls. (sea salt in kitchen) I had originally wanted Repose or Agreeable Grey, but I went with RP. We have warm wood floors too and I think it works well. Best wishes!

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    tracy I'm unable to see your photo!!!
  • shead
    5 years ago

I've had Repose, 75% Repose, 50% Repose, Agreeable Gray, and Revere Pewter in my last two houses. We even painted our brick exterior Repose Gray.

This was my Revere Pewter master bedroom:

Revere Pewter in my kitchen:

75% Repose in my living room:

50% Repose in bedroom:

Agreeable Gray in bedroom with lots of natural light:

I have Agreeable Gray in this house now and it reads much more "beige" especially in artificial light. However, as you can see, they are all very, very similar and lighting makes 99% of the difference. Overall, I'd say Revere Pewter is the best "chameleon" of the colors and the one I've been happier with in more applications than the other colors, BUT in areas with not a lot of natural light it can read green. It did that in my MIL's basement.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    my problem right now is that the accessible beige in my home makes everything feel so muddy with my orangey floors..
    I need something to brighten it up and feel fresh. if anyone has any suggestions... my home isn't big so maybe that's another thing. lori when lightening repose gray by 75% what does it do exactly to the colour? might get some samples of it lightened.
  • Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago

currently very muddy...

• angelicatownshend
    5 years ago

I once worked with someone that lightened a color into different shades to paint different walls in the same house to make it appear like more light was hitting the shaded areas. I have no idea how to do this or if it works but thought it was an interesting idea.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I've never heard of that! makes sense though
  • angelicatownshend
    5 years ago

We are cue in a rental while our house gets Reconstruction done from water damage. This house has repose gray and silver shadow accents. I love it so much I’m going to repaint our house in these colors. the main source of light in these photos is northern... ignore the mess, we are still moving stuff over and cooking for tomorrow.

• Joanne
    5 years ago
    I believe the 75 percent repose gray has more white added but we tried the full strength and the 75 percent and found the 75 percent softer and not as dark especially as the daytime light fades. Try both samples at SW.
  • Pamela Hardy
    5 years ago

Looks great. Do you know the trim color they used?

• angelicatownshend
    5 years ago

Sugar dust from Lowe’s

• angelicatownshend
    5 years ago

Here it is at night...

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    do you find repose warm during the day and cooler at night
  • angelicatownshend
    5 years ago

In a lot of ways, yes. But it can look warm and cool at the same time depending on the light on the wall even at the same time of day.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm just worried with my very orangey floors that it will clash :(

• wmsimons85
    5 years ago

I just chose Sherwin Williams Modern Gray for a property that has orange wood. They are in the process of painting now so work in progress therefore nothing to share yet. But it seemed to be the best choice of SW gray to me. It has a little bit of warmth to it.

• angelicatownshend
    5 years ago

Here is a perfect example...see how it looks warmer in the kitchen where the light is hitting it?

• Home4Here
    5 years ago

Hi CC, I'm not sure why the photos didnt go through before, but I'll try again. Revere Pewter in living room at my house :)

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    looks beautiful tracy!
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

lori when lightening repose gray by 75% what does it do exactly to the colour?

Whenever you change a paint color formula, all 3 dimensions of color are affected: hue, value and chroma. Not just the one part or thing of the color you don't like changes -- the entire color changes.

And there is no way to know which dimensions will change or by how much until you have it cut, let it dry and look at it.

Thinking only one "part" of the color (the part you want to change) is going to magically happen just by having a paint store person divide some number is ridiculous.

Yet, most people think that's how color works.

I've lost track of the number of paint colors that we've measured and proven the marked difference between the original and the cut formulas.

It's not a matter of opinion that the cut versions are completely different colors with little to no relation to the original color, we can measure it and quantify those differences in detail.

We can measure how the colors differ in terms of hue, value, chroma, LRV, blueness, yellowness, redness, and greeness.

The majority of the time, the cut versions of original paint colors will be obviously and markedly different in at least one of those categories.

• Home4Here
    5 years ago
    Thank you! I wasnt sure about Revere Pewter when it first went on but when our floors were re-done, it picked up the warm tones yet stayed fresh looking. I hope you find a colour you love!
  • Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    lori in terms of brightness are repose and agreeable similar?
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    5 years ago

Value/Lightness is measurable, it's a quantity. It answers the question how light or dark is that color. For example, both colors have a Value of 8.

Brightness is visual assessment. It answers the question how light or dark does that quantity of value/lightness look. Both Agreeable and Repose are mid tones, they're in the middle in terms of brightness.

So, yes, they are similar in terms of brightness and we know that by looking at Value and/or LRV (light reflectance value)

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    picking up samples tomorrow. has anyone tried useful gray or worldly gray???
  • lindahambleton
    5 years ago

I hope you keep us updated

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago

just want to show everyone where the 2 colours will meet. walls are accessible beige on main level and when I do paint the hallway and bedroom upstairs you will still see the 2 colours side by side even though they are on separate levels. hoping despite the difference in colours that they still will mend well

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    will.the gray paint wash out the floors? ehat colour accents can I bring into my bedroom decor with gray walls
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Since color is very dependent on light in the space, these analysis are done with D65 illuminant, which means as close to natural light as possible. Your light in each space and from each direction will be different and will affect YOUR PERCEPTION of the color. (btw, you cannot do a good comparison with cardboard sample or painting on the wall, the background color bleeds through and will change the color). So, in answer to the question which color will be most likely perceived as lightest, the LRV helps us see that. This analysis shows that Agreeable Gray(AG) has an LRV of 63 and that makes it the most reflective of light or some say the "lightest". It is the "perception" of the color brightness. The scale is 0-100 and the closer to 100 the most reflective. Accessible Beige(A
    B) has a LRV of 58 and Repose Gray(RG) is 59. So they are all fairly close in LRV.

I will try to post the photos of the comparison (been having trouble with Houzz being able to post, so give me a minute).

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    flo I have missed your lovely comments
    :) thank you. I think agreeable gray it is!!!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Haha - patience my dear. Here are the rest of the data.

paint analysis · More Info
    The Hue Angle of 83.4 means it falls in the Yellow Hue family and on the warm side of the Hue segment. It is a great color, but it will change in "perception" with changing light conditions. The gray tones will "moderate" the honey color of the flooring which is the next biggest block of color you have. Everything else is small potatoes! Hope this helps.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    what do you mean moderate the honey floors
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Moderate means it cools down warmer tones somewhat.
  • Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    flo do you agree repose gray is too cool for my floors?
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Here is analysis on Repose Gray. It is in the Yellow Hue Family at approx 106 hue angle which puts it in cool segment and near Green/Yellow Hue family. It is also a LRV of 59 so less reflective value than AG at 63. But these colors are fairly close to each other. Get sample primed sample boards from Sherwin Williams and samples and put two coats on them to get an appreciation of each color in your light.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    If you want a gray Repose is the better choice of the two but it can go green given its Hue angle position.
  • Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    flo my floors are orange though and I'm thinking repose is too cool for them. what are your thoughts
  • Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago

current paint, floors, dresser

• Steve Daigneault
    5 years ago

C C - have you purchased any paints to sample yet?

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    not yet steve. going tonight!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    For some reason my post saying Accessible Beige is decidedly beige didn’t post. So if you do want a gray look, AB won’t satisfy you.
  • Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    flo the 2 colours are agreeable gray or repose gray.
  • Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago

sorry for the delay everyone, we ended up going with Mindful gray. the others looked too light. this is artificial lighting after just painting it. will post a picture when everything is back in its place and during daylight! :)

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thoughts?

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    should I get white curtains rather than beige?
  • Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago

anyone?

• J C
    5 years ago
    I like it! I think white curtains would be crisp and clean against your walls!
  • Girlmom101
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'll go with white curtains for sure!

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    4 years ago

hi everyone! its been a while. here is an updated photo of the bedroom
    any suggestions or advise?