SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srw_

Wisteria trunk being eaten?

SW (Sydney, USDA 10b)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Need some help.

Have a 15-20 year old wisteria wound up the pole of a wooden framework. It’s pretty healthy, but the wood of the trunk has started dying off in an uninterrupted path vertically from the top down.

The wood inside is a powder, like it’s been pulverised. I scooped it out until I hit living wood, and living in the powder are what look like mealworms (plus a few actual worms). There are also black ants running up and down the trunk all the time - I pulled off a dead branch near the top of the trunk and ants came scurrying out of it.

In the coil of the trunk, the die-off is on the top side, and hasn’reached through to the bottom side. Was thinking it could be rain getting trapped and rotting away from the top down, but not sure that it explains the base of the trunk, which has never had anything against it that would trap water...

Just in case it makes a difference - it’s in full sun, takes care of its own water needs. The soil is pretty sandy where I am. Every now and then I pull up a sucker across the lawn so I know it’s got a good root system.

Anybody have any ideas what would cause and how to stop it? Thanks!

Comments (12)