SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

wisteria runners

v1rt
10 years ago

There is a wisteria vine about 5 miles from where I live. The thickest trunk I saw was about 1.75 to 2 inches in diameter. The length, in my estimation, is about 15 feet.

I talked to someone there and he said it's more than 8 yrs old, it could be more. I looked at the base and saw runners. The vine is surrounded by lawn. The distance from the edge of the lawn to the trunk is 2 ft only. The twining is counter clockwise so looks like it's a Chinese wisteria. There are tons of seed pods. It's starting to leaf out too. I don't know if it has started to flower though.

I've read so many articles that wisteria can eat a house. It's possible I guess but that would take more than 100 years. I also read that runners can destroy a foundation. Looking at the wisteria vine I saw plus its age, looks like it's not really that bad.

I also noticed that this wisteria isn't being trained too. I'm guessing that I should be fine planting it at the base of my pergola. However, I'm thinking of digging about 16 inch diameter hole and 3-4 ft deep. I will put a 8-12 inch diameter cement tube. I read that wisteria likes root bound and performs well like this. This will also protect runners from spreading.

What do you think folks? I think I will be fine since I'm 80-90% in my garden.

Comments (10)