SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sprtphntc7a

REC's for an immersion blender

sprtphntc7a
5 years ago

hi all,

finding lately that i really can use one, especially with soup season upon us. so, figured i ask here and see what everyone loves or finds annoying....

what specs should it have, speeds, wattage etc...

did search here, but nothing current since 2016...

TIA

Comments (52)

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

I have a basic Proctor Silex. It has a cord (110 V) and two blades that are horizontal on a vertically turning shaft. Kind of like a plane's propeller facing downward inside a cowling for protection and to stop side splatter. Mine's at least 10 years old. I did a search - you can find one for $15 or less. It gets the job done with enough horsepower and umph that Tim Allen would like it.

sprtphntc7a thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

Glenda, that's a much tougher-looking model than the one my friends have.

• Related Discussions

Immersion blender/Hand blender

Q

Comments (8)
    Ditto what everyone else has said, I wouldn't be without one. You can also use it to make small batches of whipped cream. Great for those times when you just need a couple of servings and don't want to haul out the stand mixer. Saw a helpful note in Cooks Illustrated a few days ago that suggested dipping it in a small container of soapy water and giving it a pulse or two for easy cleaning. Kind of obvious, but somehow I hadn't thought of it before.
    ...See More

Immersion Blender & Memory Blues....

Q

Comments (6)
    I have a Kitchenaid immersion blender, and I use it all the time - much more than I use a food processor or blender - it is so much easier to use and clean. My advice on use would be to use it with a narrow deep bowl made especially for these blenders, or use a very large tumbler, when possible. I also use it in sauce pans, but I often tilt the pan to make sure that the liquid is deep enough, and I always start at the lowest speed. I have several bowls/containers that came with previous stick blenders, and that is what I use when making a marinade, salad dressing, mayonnaise, etc. I also use the stick blender directly in a can of tomatoes after draining off the liquid in the can. I do not turn the blender on until the stick is at the bottom of the can, and then I do not raise the stick more than an inch or two within the can. Make sure your containers, pans, or whatever have high sides, and this will help prevent liquid from going everywhere. Also, make sure that you fully submerge the stick before turning it on, and turn it off before raising it, as Linda said. Lars
    ...See More

Recommendations for non-fancy immersion blender

Q

Comments (17)
    I don't trust bad reviews that much. Given that fact that users with good experience don't write good reviews as often as users with bad experience writing bad reviews. If blender X sells at $30 each, they can sell 100,000 units there will be many bad ones proportional to 100,000 units. If the same blender X is sold at $ 150 each, they can only sell 1000 units, there will be many fewer bad ones sold and fewer bad reviews. Same identical blender. Whoever sells blender X at $150 each will be very happy to send you free replacements and get good reviews for good customer service. I bought a hand blender for $35. 300 Watts of power with 23,000 RPM speed. I refuse to pay $200 for a Bamix at 150 Watts of power with 14,000 RPM speed. dcarch
    ...See More

immersion blender advice

Q

Comments (20)
    These things seem to be like most appliances now days. If you bought it years ago it’s great but they don’t make them like they used to. Every brand seems to have quite a few scathing reviews. Best to get a moderately priced one I guess in case it bites the dust in short order.
    ...See More
  • blfenton
    5 years ago

I have a cuisinart immersion blender which I really like. I bought it at Bed Bath and Beyond and this is it with the attachments. I like having the chopper.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/store/product/cuisinart-reg-2-speed-smart-stick-hand-blender/1043211555

sprtphntc7a thanked blfenton
  • lizbeth-gardener
    5 years ago

I have the Breville Control Grip and love it. I use it mostly for sauces, gravies, soups, etc.

sprtphntc7a thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • Sue 430
    5 years ago

I was looking for one for a gift, after much research, I bought the breville control grip. Now I want to get one for me!

sprtphntc7a thanked Sue 430
  • Joe T.
    5 years ago

I have this Cuisinart. It's a workhorse, and easy to clean.

sprtphntc7a thanked Joe T.
  • OklaMoni
    5 years ago

I have a Breville as well. LOVE it! Mine has the attachment for whipping cream or such too. I bought it after it was recommended on the cooking forum. It had some other attachments that were double what Dale (in Florida) had, and thus, got rid of them, thus, can't really recommend all attachments.

Moni

sprtphntc7a thanked OklaMoni
  • User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I'm a big fan of Breville products. I have their All in One set.

I have had this set for four years. Haven't had to pull out my big Kitchenaid Processor in those four years. Gets used often. Even the whip works great for making whipped cream or hollandaise sauce, etc....

I love that the slicing blade has a dial on it that lets you slice paper thin or thick. And the grating blade has coarse on one side and fine on the other.

And I recently bought this one because I wanted a smaller processor bowl for grating cheese, and bread crumbs, etc. as the one I had broke.

The motor for the immersion blender is the same for both, so I just put the second one away in case the first one ever dies.

sprtphntc7a thanked User
  • OklaMoni
    5 years ago

AnnT I have the set in your first picture... minus some parts, like I already stated.

sprtphntc7a thanked OklaMoni
  • georgysmom2
    5 years ago

Mine looks similar to Glenda's with all the attachments. It's a Tenergy. I checked out all the reviews on Amazon and this one got very good ones. It's stainless steel and very well made and the price was very good. I like it a lot. Love, love, love the immersion blender. When I think of what a mess it was to have to put the soup in a blender in batches, what a pain. I, too, make lots of soup for the freezer.

sprtphntc7a thanked georgysmom2
  • User
    5 years ago

OklaMoni, the only attachment I wouldn't recommend is the Potato masher. And not because it doesn't work. I just don't need it to mash potatoes.

• OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

I have a Cuisinart. Plain as heck, two speeds, with no fancy things with it and it does just fine.

sprtphntc7a thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Shannon_WI
    5 years ago

Braun.

I think you can watch this video of Cook's Country ratings without being a member. https://www.cookscountry.com/videos/3936-immersion-blenders

sprtphntc7a thanked Shannon_WI
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

I had a farberware, lost in the flood. If I get a new one I would go for something like Glenda or Ann has with the attachments. Those are items that I would use.

sprtphntc7a thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • THOR, Son of ODIN
    5 years ago

Go low or go high.

Serious Eats: The Best Hand (Immersion) Blenders

US $30 'Blending on a Budget: Hamilton Beach 2-Speed Hand Blender'

This unassuming model ended up being a sleeper hit, consistently doing in much pricier units and comfortably keeping up with our champ throughout rounds of testing. The Hamilton Beach's wide blade guard, with its large vents, creates a perfect vortex when blending. Despite being the smallest and lightest of the contenders, it easily whipped cream, made perfect mayonnaise, and aced crushing ice. It also comes equipped with a mini chopper and whisk for anyone who loves a little extra swag.

US $100 'The Undisputed Champ: All-Clad Stainless Steel Immersion Blender'

Through round after round of rigorous testing, the All-Clad easily knocked out the competition. This heavyweight was the fastest and most efficient at burrowing through burly ice cubes, transforming stubborn celery fibers into a luxurious purée, and emulsifying mayo in a blink.

The sleek design tapers near the top, making it easy to grip and maneuver, although it was the weightiest model we tested. With easy-to-read arrows illustrating which direction to turn in to twist off the blending shaft, it's a cinch to clean and store.

sprtphntc7a thanked THOR, Son of ODIN
  • gardengrlz
    5 years ago

I'll vouch for KA as a great product. One bit of advice, whatever brand you buy, find one that doesn't have one of those blasted safety switches that needs to always be pressed in order to be used. I find with those types, you almost need 2 hands to operate the thing, and it's a pain in the rear.

sprtphntc7a thanked gardengrlz
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

Just wanted to agree with the others about having a mini-processor attachment. I use mine much more than the big food processor. It will even make dough for a 2-crust pie.

sprtphntc7a thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • bob_cville
    5 years ago

I meant to check the brand I have, but didn't. I think it is a Cuisinart brand similar to the one that Joe T. posted a link to, but mine also has a button on the top in addition to the High/Low switch on the handle.

While I like that fact that it has as much or more power than the two other models I've had in the past, and it is easier to clean than they were (since it comes apart) and is better able to handle hot temperatures (which slightly cracked the plastic shroud of one of my previous models) I have a big problem with the how it works. You have to press down the button on the top at the same time that you press either the High or Low switch, and both buttons must be pressed firmly enough that very quickly your hand will cramp.

I'm sure the button on top was added as a "safety" measure to prevent accidentally turning it on and gravely injuring your fingers (or tongue if you are some who like to lick the "beater") but I had the previous units about 10 years, and never once had a problem.

edited to add: (so basically what gardengrlz said in a previous post)

sprtphntc7a thanked bob_cville
  • chloebud
    5 years ago

Mine's a Braun...had it forever.

sprtphntc7a thanked chloebud
  • alex9179
    5 years ago

Mine is older. I have, and use, all the accessories, too. I've never tried to crush ice with it but I'm very happy with its performance. It has variable speed and no safety switch to depress before turning it on. https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/parts-and-accessories/hand_blenders/csb-77

sprtphntc7a thanked alex9179
  • Shannon_WI
    5 years ago

@Bob_cville - the video I linked to on my post above mentions that the blenders with the buttons on top were crossed off the list so to speak because that design is so much more awkward.

It also didn't like the heavy and thick ones like the All-Clad mentioned in the Serious Eats review quoted above, finding that the weight of the immersion blender was not a correlation to effectiveness, and that lighter ones like the Braun worked just as well and were not fatiguing or difficult to hold.

sprtphntc7a thanked Shannon_WI
  • localeater
    5 years ago

I have the Cuisinart many posted above. It is currently broken and I am working with their customer service department. I went to make my son a smoothie one morning; almond milk, banana, protein powder- I squeezed to turn the blade on a bit above the concoction and the blade snapped in half. The loose half went flying, hit the tile backsplash, rebounded and sliced my hand. I think I got off easy, it could have broken in the glass and he might have swallowed it.

sprtphntc7a thanked localeater
  • Jakkom Katsu
    5 years ago

I have an older Kitchenaid, fairly heavy: variable speed and you hold down a side button to operate it. Since you're holding the button down where your hand naturally falls to hold the handle, it's not tiring or annoying.

Don't use it much, as the kinds of cooking I do don't require many appliances (I think I use my toaster oven 20x more often than the mixer or food processor or blender, LOL).

It is useful for a couple of recipes, so I figured it was worth dropping $25 on (amazing sale price at the time; I think it was normally a retail $89+).

sprtphntc7a thanked Jakkom Katsu
  • Lars
    5 years ago

I also have an older Kitchenaid with nine speeds. I would not be happy with only two speeds. I use mine fairly often, but the new ones from KA are not the same. Mine has a 240 watt motor (2 amps x 120 volts), and I would not want one with less power than that. My brother got it for me with points that he earned from a credit card that could only be redeemed with merchandise, and that's sort of why we ended up with this one, but I do like it a lot, and it has similar attachments to the ones shown in the Breville photos. I use the mini-chopper for making relishes but not for dough. I haven't tried chopping ice with it because my refrigerator ice dispenser will dispense chopped ice if I want it.

sprtphntc7a thanked Lars
  • User
    5 years ago

My KitchenAid is probably 10 years old. Nine speeds, but I generally only use 1 or 2. I use it for soups exclusively.

sprtphntc7a thanked User
  • dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    5 years ago

You can't completely depend on specifications to select a hand blender. There are way too many variables.

First, very few will tell you about rotational speed (RPM). But for a DC motor, faster speed does not mean more power. Also, effectiveness of chopping depends on the shape of the blades and the diameter of the blades.

Wattage rating helps, but not that much. Manufacturers' wattage ratings are not exact, it is related to permissible motor temperature rise under load and how long they allow the motor to last.

Depending on how the variable speed electronic works, power output can be very different. If they do it with voltage drop, there will be less power. If they us PWM method, more power for the blades at lower speeds.

Comparative test reviews are good, but few can tell you how long the blender will last.

Good luck! :-)

dcarch

sprtphntc7a thanked dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
  • sprtphntc7a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

from what i found so, all have negatives, ugh! so going to find one with longest warranty, comfort, ease of use and ease of cleaning.

putting more thought behind it, i think i will mostly use for soups and when cooking in large quantities (holidays) to do some chopping. i would use it to make scrambled eggs as well.

i have a vitamix for smoothies and pretty sure will not use it for that, but again that perspective could change.

just my wandering thoughts and findings so far.... Thanks everyone!!!!!

• annie1992
    5 years ago

I have a Braun and I will say that they definitely last. I bought mine at GoodWill for $2 over 10 years ago. It doesn't have any speeds, just on and off. You hold the button in to make it go and when you let go it stops, which works for me because as soon as I drop the thing into the pot, which I will do, it stops. The button is on the handle where I normally hold it, so like jakkom, I don't find it difficult to hold in or to use. I don't like the cord, that's aggravating and inconvenient. It has no attachments, and that's fine with me because I have a food processor, a KitchenAid with various attachments, a mandoline and a VitaMix, so I use the immersion blender 2 or 3 times a year. It's great for whisking the lumps out of gravy, though!

Annie

sprtphntc7a thanked annie1992
    5 years ago

I suggest getting two hand blenders.

All immersion blenders soon have very dull blades. That's because the blenders have to use softer steel for the blades to avoid the blade from cracking and become a dangerous flying knife.

I have one blender with very sharp hand sharpened blades for blending very soft foods. And the other blender for blending harder foods such as nuts and frozen foods.

Having two blenders is great in case one dies just when you are making a dinner for 20 people (Murphy's Laws) and must have to have the use of a blender for a recipe.

dcarch

• cat_mom
    5 years ago

My Braun immersion blender literally fell apart earlier this year after many, many, many years of use (a first generation one from the late 80’s-early 90’s).

We replaced it with a Bamix Professional Immersion Blender from BB&B (with a 20% coupon). The few times I’ve used it so far, it’s worked really well.

Bamix® Professional Immersion Blender

Bamix immersion blender

sprtphntc7a thanked cat_mom
  • Elizabeth
    5 years ago

I have a Cuisiart. It is very basic and works well. I only use it for certain soups and therefore it is the least used small appliance. Meh, I could do without it.

sprtphntc7a thanked Elizabeth
  • ci_lantro
    5 years ago

My immersion blenders have always been whatever I find at a garage sale for a couple of dollars. Always keep a back-up one in the basement. Don't use them much, mostly blending soups in the winter or smooshing up beans for refried beans. De-lumping gravy the couple of times a year that I make gravy. Mixing old (water based) paint where the solids have started settling to the bottom of the can.

My first was the only new one that I've owned. Braun, received as a gift. Didn't hold up so that's why I get garage sale ones. I don't mind if a $2 appliance goes belly-up.

sprtphntc7a thanked ci_lantro
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

For those of you who have a relatively recent Braun, do they have the double button setup to turn the thing on? It's hard to tell from their video, but it looks like it.

• homechef59
    5 years ago

I have a Bamix. The original immersion blender. Two speeds. I also have a Vitamix. Either one will do the job. The Vitamix is faster. My mother had a Bamix that I inherited. But, after forty years, I managed to blow it up. I think we got our money's worth on the Bamix. I know I have long since gotten my money's worth on the Vitamix.

sprtphntc7a thanked homechef59
  • 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Following

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

I am thinking about getting this one. Has lots of accessories, has an 800watt motor, good customer service, and fairly inexpensive. I don't use one often but think with the accessories I would use it more. If it breaks after a couple of years I don't loose much money. My problem with these that have accessories is that they don't have a containment stand or anything. So lots of pieces to store. This house has limited space. But one item takes the place of several larger units.

MRQ 6-in-1 800 Watt Heavy Duty Immersion Hand Blender Stick Mixer Set with Large Capacity 1500ml Food Processor Chopper, 600ml BPA Free Beaker, Detachable Egg Whisk Attachment, 600ml Cup (Red) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F353RHP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_mtc9BbES01A40

sprtphntc7a thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

Plastic parts are for noise control, and also metal parts require grease packing.

Blenders use universal type of brushed motor, which generates lots of heat. Immersion blenders do not provide venting for the motor, that's why you shouldn't operate it for too long.

dcarch

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

Plastic parts are for noise control

Hmm. Well, there are puh-lenty of bad reviews on the KA interchangeable head model because of failure of the plastic connectors in a very short period of time. I do not think noise reduction had anything to do with that decision.

And my old KA will run as long as I can stand to hold the button down. Of course, that is self-limiting to a certain extent, but it is considerably more than a minute.

sprtphntc7a thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

"---I do not think noise reduction had anything to do with that decision.--"

The engineers who designed those plastic parts probably had never been inside a kitchen. They had no idea how the cooks use those machines.

The price for a nylon gear and a metal gear are not that much different. To put a plastic gear on a metal shaft is a added cost.

dcarch

• share_oh
    5 years ago

I have an Oster I bought a few years ago. I love it but I don't use it very often. For my needs, it's perfect and it wasn't expensive.

sprtphntc7a thanked share_oh
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

. To put a plastic gear on a metal shaft is a added cost.

Yes, that's a very interesting point, dcarch.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    5 years ago

I have at least six now. Two vintage braun like Annie. My go-to always. Small, simple, one speed, easy to rinse and clean. I just need it for a quick tilt-the-soup-pot. I just like a minor puree sometimes to thicken a soup that has lots of veg....still like it partially chunky. (don't use flours or stash for that).

Highspeed blender for silky smooth blending. A complicated heavy Breville I bought last spring some SurLaTab sale. Attachments, bowls, and variable speed I have never used but day one out of the box. I made an easy go-to spot for it in the kitchen but the Braun is easier to grab last minute. One is for body butters I don't use for foods. Another at work for also non-food. Cuisinart. Both of those have the bowls that I like for non-food use.

A toss-up how much you will use attachments. Read reviews and get the best in your price point.

sprtphntc7a thanked sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
  • sprtphntc7a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

still reading reviews and looking at specs.

want ease of cleaning and not a lot of attachments.. just the whisk, i think.

liking the breville so far but don't want to spend $88.... i like that its scratch resistant for my LC dutch ovens...does that matter??

waiting to see if i can one at a good price on cyber monday. nothing caught my eye today (black friday)....

wish i could get an oldie!! i'll check eBay now...

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

A basic immersion blender is not hard to clean. Usually a hot rinse under the faucet is all that is needed. Or just immerse and run it a few seconds in hot soapy water.

sprtphntc7a thanked ci_lantro
  • anoop
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@sprtphntc7a, what did you get?

While I don't like the cleaning aspect of the bamix, it looks like it is the most durable, and so that's the one I'm leaning towards. It is pricey, but given its effectiveness I think it would be worth it. Just wish it had a detachable bottom that was machine washable.

• homechef59
    4 years ago

The mixing blade on the Bamix comes off for cleaning. You simply wipe off the stem. Or, you can immerse the attached blade and stem in soapy water, being careful not immerse the handle/motor, turn it on and let it clean itself. It's very easy to clean. With this unit, cleanability is very easy. Much easier than a blender.

• patriciae_gw
    4 years ago

I have an old Braun that did something to make me replace it years ago with a Cuisinart with the usual complement of Wisk and tiny food processor. It does what I want a wand to do. One speed, easy to use and I can just stick the wand base in the dishwasher. I use it mostly to make cream soups, at Christmas cream of artichoke. In a blue moon I use the wisk. I don't know where that little chopper is. Bizarrely DH found a wand base while riding his bike one morning. He is always finding stuff. I wash the clothes and donate them. People put things on their car but a wand base?It fit my motor perfectly and I just ran it through the dishwasher a couple of times..stainless so no problem. Do I need two? I should pull out the old Braun and find out what happened there?

• anoop
    4 years ago

Regarding the Bamix --

Have any of you had any problems with getting cut while changing blades or finding it hard to change blades? My sister is worried that it may be a safety concern to be pulling off a blade with one's hands.

• homechef59
    4 years ago

Never been cut. It's not a problem.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor