SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_156188020

How to fit an island or peninsula best in this kitchen?

Bryanna B
5 years ago

Hi! Following a house fire (we are all ok!), we've taken the opportunity to remove two walls in our kitchen to open up our somewhat small/dark Cape Cod home. Our dilemma is that we have an awkward rectangular shape (from our only 1st floor bathroom) jutting into the kitchen. And we are also working around the entrance to the basement steps. I'm attaching pics and measurements. We have two small boys and are expecting our third next month.... having space for the 5 of us to eat and socialize on some type of island or peninsula is really important to me. Here are my questions:

-- Do you think an island can be incorporated into this previous dead space? If so, what else do we need to do to connect this space to rest of kitchen (e.g. add cabinets around it somehow, add sink to island, etc.)? See pic with orange square for reference.

-- If you don't think the island can fit, do you have any examples of a peninsula large enough for at least 5 people that would work in this space? See pic with weird yellow drawing for reference.

-- Do you think the bathroom (or at least the shower) MUST come out to make this work? Note we had just had this space renovated 3 years ago and know it adds value to house having this on first floor, especially since we have a first floor bedroom. We don't have the money to move the bathroom somewhere else.

-- Finally, note the wall to the dining room (where the stove previously was) has also come down with the intention of having a half wall with a bar/couple of stools pulled up on the other side. I know we could more easily add the island there but would prefer opening up to the living room which is the heart of our house (has fire place and access to deck).

-- Does this project require a designer?

I'm new to these boards so please forgive me/advise if I can do this better... Any other thoughts are much appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Comments (60)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH