SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ksyrahsirah_gw

Kitchen island v peninsula: how to decide?

ksyrahsirah
9 years ago

Hello all, I'm new here and this is my first post. I've done a lot of lurking over the last week and the folks here are so helpful and open and honest, I love the communication and idea flow!

We are starting to research kitchen remodeling. Not counting range and sink, we have 5 separate counter sections to use, one of which is a 12ft all counter top peninsula that I just love, especially for parties for buffet serving. My husband wants to nix the peninsula and instead put in a 4ftx4ft island to give more flow in the room.

We've modeled this in powerpoint and looked at pictures and even went to a showroom, and I see more rectangle, larger islands than small ones, and I am not sure I like the look of the smaller island.

So, looking for some advice...does it matter for resale whether there is or is not an island? All I have see lately are islands in new construction, but with a tiny 4x4 island, would we be better off keeping the peninsula? We would lose 16 sq ft of counter space overall in all kitchen areas if we go with the remodel design we've currently thought of. That's a lot of counter space to lose!

Would welcome anyone's thoughts on island v peninsula: go with trend or maximize counter space even if flow is not open design?

Comments (15)