SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarschlos_remodeler

Peninsula v. Island -- What are your thoughts?

Here I am peppering all of you with my questions again. I've been trying to work in a decent sized island in my 16'X 14' kitchen while still having sufficient aisle space for moving around (if I am in the kitchen, it is inevitable that my babies, dog, and eventually DH will follow me there). Although our current kitchen is non-functional in many ways (for instance, a modern standard sized refrigerator cannot fit in the teeny tiny hole for the teeny tiny 1960s refrigerator and so currently occupies the teeny tiny breakfast table area), the peninsula layout has a lot going for it with regard to ease of prep and cleanup with minimal steps. After cooking this weekend, I am seriously reconsidering the island. Although they're pretty, I don't know that I want to have to be walking around the island all the time (in my kitchen, an island would essentially bisect a U shape kitchen).

So here's my question: anyone take out a peninsula and put in an island and regret it? Is anyone putting in a peninsula (and happy to be doing so, instead of just sticking with the same layout)?

Comments (18)