SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessrp

best kitchen layout?

Jessica P
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Ok, I have three different options in mind for my kitchen. Plans have not been finalized, so I can change most anything to make the best layout for me. My top priorities are a nice big pantry, it being more than a 1 cook kitchen, and being able to be apart of any socializing going on in the family room while I'm cooking. Here is the entire plan.

Here is an actual picture of the kitchen from a house built from this plan.

I am planning on closing in the walk thru area from kitchen and dining area.....to make a walk in pantry. I will be shifting the cabinets with the fridge down a few feet towards the front of the house, and so the kitchen area will gain a few feet. The island will be centered on the fireplace. I'm also making the breakfast nook slightly bigger. The dining area will be a small office. So I"m contemplating either:

A. Make the perimeter a U shape, with an added peninsula parallel with the breakfast nook table. The peninsula would have the sink and dishwasher (I would have a pretty view looking out breakfast area windows). All other appliances would be as is in the picture above. (cooktop, wall oven, fridge). My worry is if this might feel too closed in.....but I would love the blank island, and having the sink face an outdoor view.

B. The island would be flat with nothing on it. (I really love a huge space to bake/cook/prep and it is great for homework projects, as a buffet for parties, etc.) The L shaped perimeter cabinets would have a combo oven/cook top and the kitchen sink/dishwasher on the long side and the fridge and pantry will be on short side. I am concerned that the long run of cabinets with the sink and oven will look too cluttered.

C. The island would have the sink on the left side (To give more uninterrupted room for prepping, socializing, and using to set out food for parties). The cook top range, wall oven, and fridge would be the same as the picture above. I just do not want to regret having my sink in the island. I do understand that it is ideal for prepping.....but the thought of having paper towel holder, kitchen soap, etc visible at all times will bother me. And I wonder if I would hate the sink not being symmetrical in the center of the island. But I just feel that my prep space is being chopped up into two smaller sections with it in the dead center.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or thoughts.

Comments (15)