SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
holly_stockley

Slow decorating - something you do?

Holly Stockley
5 years ago

This is not so much a "solve my problem" post as a discussion of process. Cruising the intarweebs today, I found a blog post on "slow decorating." Now, I'd heard about "slow food" and some of the other concepts that emphasize quality and intent, but slow decorating was a new one for me. Then I did a search online and found all sorts of opinions on the subject.

Still, I realized that it's something I tend to practice. Not a conscious design choice, but rather just the way my mind works. Elements of slow decorating include (but probably aren't limited to):

Waiting and saving for better quality pieces that will last longer

Repurposing, "picking," or shopping secondhand

Editing - do I really need this? What is it adding? Do I already own something that will serve the same purpose?

Sourcing locally

Building an interior environment that reflects YOU and maintaining it - changing out elements but not utterly redecorating with each new fad.

Being patient and waiting for the "right piece" to come along, even if you don't necessarily know what it is yet.

As frustrating as the long series of delays has been in even getting our new house STARTED, that extra time has let me find a few suppliers for things I wanted but didn't know enough about. And locate a few vintage items to incorporate. In general, if we'd have just gone RIGHT into building, I'd have settled for things I really didn't want just because I had to pick SOMETHING and hadn't been offered anything I really loved. I've had time to go find those things and I think the build will be better for it.

And a lot of my current furniture will move with us. Some of it will get refinished. Other things will be replaced. But a good bit of it is custom pieces, often made by my father. A number of other pieces are genuine antiques. And I'm always poking through antique markets and fleas looking for things that would round out my choices.

What sort of decorator are you? Do you feel like a space is unfinished if you don't put everything in it right away? Or can you live with a room that "needs something" until the right "something" comes along? Do you fill your shopping cart on West Elm with everything that was in the inspiration photo? Or do you spend hours hunting for just the right item, only to decide that the heirloom from Aunt Millie would look better anyway?

Comments (21)