SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katie_swerda

Where to end counter? Should cabs and backsplash follow suit?

Katie
5 years ago

We are removing the wall between the dining room and kitchen to fit our large table, and we are extending the chair rail to the slider so the dining table looks like it belongs. At first, I was concerned that if we bring the counter all the way so that it touches the slider molding, it would look weird and crowded, but now I am thinking that it would actually look better because it would echo the chair rail at the same height on the other side, especially since I plan on having different paint colors above and below the chair rail. What do you all think?

If I bring the counter all the way so it touches the slider molding, the cabinet that is facing out on the seating side of the peninsula would be only 1 1/2" from the slider, and I thought I'd line up the wall cabinet above it with that base cab, so that it is also 1 1/2" from the slider. Thoughts? And if I then do all that, should the backsplash line up with the counter, so that there is no gap between the backslash and the slider, or do I line up the backsplash with the cabinet, so that there is 1 1/2" of wall between the slider molding and the backsplash?

I know I don't have to decide exact ending point of backsplash now, but I do have to decide location and size of cabinets, which then does affect counter and backsplash like a domino effect, so I'm trying to see what's best for the whole package. It all hinges on how far from the molding the countertop should end. I'd love feedback.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional