SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
graham7553

Need advice for getting out of a contract

Graham King
5 years ago

I hired a general contractor to do a foundation replacement and several other smaller jobs on my house. The total contract is for $210k. The foundation portion is $163k. The remaining $47k is a bunch of other stuff like new HVAC, sewer lateral, electrical, chimney removal, siding, water heater, relocate gas meter, etc. We signed the contract at the end of May and it specified that all of the work was to be completed by the end of August.

It’s now the middle of November. The contractor started with the foundation and it’s about 90% done. He has done numerous things incorrectly and the workmanship is awful. I have caught many mistakes, and to be fair, he has fixed them when possible. Everything is sloppy: the concrete pours, the way things are aligned, the way things are nailed. I could write a book about all that has gone wrong and all that has been poorly done. The contractor is usually on site for an hour in the morning and then his guys work the rest of the day. They are unskilled at best. I catch them doing things wrong all the time.

Because of the way things are going, I want to let the contractor go after the foundation is finished so I can work with other contractors to do the remaining work. Of course, I am current with all progress payments and I certainly intend to pay the contractor for all the work he has done.

But how can/should I go about getting out of the rest of the contract? I need a strategy for telling him without infuriating him. Even though it’s been a very unpleasant experience, I still want to avoid burning bridges. I also need to go about it in a legally acceptable way so that I am minimizing my risk of lawsuits and liens. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments (45)

• millworkman
    5 years ago

Consult a local attorney as we have not seen your contract.

• Graham King
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We used AIA Document A105 - 2017

• Related Discussions

Need advice on cancelling contract w/ builder....

Q

Comments (8)
    "...you probably need a lawyer. There may be implied warranties and other state laws that protect you as a consumer." I agree 100%. Some states have very specific requirements on what must be contained in a construction contract. That is the case in my state, and the burden is on the builder. I would be prepared to pay for the work that was done and any out of pocket in anticipation of work bring done. But there may be some charges he is going overboard on, hard to say. For example, how can there be Energy Star charges when there is no house? Or was that to evaluate the plans? What are the "closing costs", I thought you owned the land? Why would the builder have closing costs? That said, YOU are choosing to back out. And this is where I say (for about the 100th time) that building a house is probably the most expensive thing most people will ever do, you should use a lawyer to review the contract BEFORE it is signed.
    ...See More

Advice Needed - Do We Attempt General Contracting Ourselves?

Q

Comments (6)
    Without experience, it is possible to successfully GC a bathroom remodel; however one has to do sufficient research and acquaint oneself of all the stesp in the remodel. It is not rocket science, however, it is a complex project and cannot be under-estimated. If you are not changing any plumbing or electrical wiring, keeping the bath layout essentially the same and only changing the skins, (e.g. faucets, tiles, tubs, etc.) it is not very hard to do. Also, if going as self-GC, try to keep some allowance for change orders, since due to lack of experience, you might make a few judgement mistakes. We are currently our bath remodel in a semi-GC fashion(semi-gc because our main guy is a jack of all trades and knows a lot about it, thus we do not need to constantly micro-manage him). We designed it entirely, I researched extensively using GW forums. Since I always knew what I wanted, look-wise, I used the forum's expertise to learn the technicalities and materials, and for hearing the experiences of the folks here with various parts/materials that we used. Also, we visited local bath remodel stores. We tried to talk to the people in the stores extensively, asked them gazillion questions. When they said "your contractor would know that", I always replied, "of course he might; however as a homeowner I want to learn about the process too". Some were clearly not interested in talking, in which case I moved on and talked to their competitor. For each type of vendor (e.g window company, mirror etc) there would be at least one of three who would be willing to educate you, and the one who left me wiser got my business (at times even though their quote was not the lowest, but within a ballpark). Besides, people who were genuinely helpful were not necessarily the most expensive. It needs a tremendous amount of time invested, patience and inclination to learn, however. You need to ask yourself whether you are interested in learning even a little, OR are you in it only to save money. If the latter, then chances are that you would end up feeling exhausted. For me, I was really passionate about learning the ropes, and I am VERY happy by the experience. I emerged much more knowledgeable and cannot wait to do my next remodel! Hope this long reply helps you.
    ...See More

Contract on small cottage.. need advice on back of house..

Q

Comments (12)
    I have one that lives on her own and goes to college and one 16.. so we got rid of our house since we will be empty nesters soon. The house that I just sold was in the woods so we didn't use the backyard much. I love gardening and working in the yard, that's what sold us on this little place. It's so tiny inside but the outside is heaven! When I get back over there I will get some better pics. Oh and I am in KY, so pretty sure I am zone 6. Love all of the flowers! I can't wait to have my yard looking like that. There is a fire pit in the back, so can't wait to entertain! I am just stuck on what to do by the house in the back. French doors are a must. Love that idea. The things on the deck are not mine, they are the sellers. Heck, once I stain it and put all of my stuff up there, it may not need much. Like you said, climbing roses etc.
    ...See More

Need Advice on Builder Contract

Q

Comments (5)
    Why should someone else take on the risk to build your house? Building is a luxury that not many get a chance to do and/or have the budget to do it. We are doing cost plus and between covid supply/labor issues and wanting better finishes in many areas than what our builder budgeted in the original bid, we will be way over budget. Even before covid hit, I had warned my DH that the initial budget was not enough, so we also planned based on a worst case budget, and we'll certainly be at that level. Sure, it was way more than we wanted to spend, but still fell within our personal financial plans. Maybe this is not a good time for you to build if you won't be able to handle the further potential risk and price increases. The only positive is that covid also increased the sales price of existing homes in our neighborhood by substantial amounts, so we aren't the only people who overpaid in this market! Misery love company! 😄
    ...See More
  • millworkman
    5 years ago

Means nothing as the verbage is what matters.

• Graham King
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That is the verbiage. AIA Document A105 - 2017

• Sammy
    5 years ago

Just tell him exactly what you’ve told us and see if he’ll agree to terminate the relationship. Come back after you’ve done that and tell us how it went.

• Justine
    5 years ago

contractor is in breach of contract.

• Sammy
    5 years ago

You cannot possibly know that, Justine.

• Graham King
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well the contract does specify that time is "of the essence" which I believe means that missing the deadline is a material breach.

• Sammy
    5 years ago

Words fail me right now.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The form of AIA contract you are using is one for which the architect provides contract administration. Your questions and concerns should be directed to him/her first--presumably you're paying them for contract administration.

Graham King thanked Charles Ross Homes
  • dan1888
    5 years ago

Yup. In breach and you can file suit for the contract amount. Do not pay him anything else. Tell him he's in breach and not to return to your property. Forget about bridges, please, you'd never hire him again anyway.

Graham King thanked dan1888
  • bry911
    5 years ago

I would offer to release him from section 16.2.4 and present it like I was giving him a Christmas present. If he hesitated or refused, I would get friendly and chummy with him while saying something like, "Let's keep the blood sucking lawyers out of this, and just part ways friends." If you happen to be a lawyer refer to the court as the enemy you're railing against, etc.

It might work or it might not. He is certainly in breach, but that really isn't the question, it is whether or not he knows he is in breach. If he knows he is in breach he will be happy with the attitude and the release, if he believes he is right, you want to avoid him taking a stand on this issue.

Just what I would do.

Graham King thanked bry911
  • bry911
    5 years ago

With respect, the OP didn't ask whether or not the contractor is in breach and frankly whether or not he is in breach is really not that material to whether or not the OP can get out of the contract while maintaining the good relationship.

Furthermore, the OP noted the contract specifically says time is of the essence, I don't see there being a remedy to that. Those are the first words I try to get into any service contract, and good contractors charge dearly for those words. He can't rectify a delay and any release would have to include consideration of some type. I guess the contractor could try to push a detrimental reliance claim, because the OP approved a delay, but good luck with that.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

Attorney. Now.

• bry911
    5 years ago

While not addressing the OP's situation specifically, on this forum many questions that appear to be legal questions are actually questions about conflict resolution.

You might need an attorney, but talking to your attorney is a lot more expensive than talking to your contractor. Many people have a need to turn a communication problem into a legal problem and sometimes that is inevitable. However, I don't love advice that assumes it is always the place to start.

Generally and broadly speaking I think it is usually best to start with reasonable communication. There are, of course, exceptions to this, specifically when someone's actions are particularly negligent or belligerent. However, for most people, if you feel comfortable talking to your G.C. then consider starting there. If not, or when that doesn't work then talk to an attorney.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    5 years ago

What's the role of your architect? The contract form you are using has an architect as contract administrator. If you're paying them for that service, you should be getting the benefit of that service.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

THE answer is to consult an attorney. All legal questions should be answered by an attorney.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

You need sound legal advice as to what options are open to you, based on your agreement. No one here understands your agreement, so there's little direct advice that will be useful to you here.

You need to know your options if the contractor is cooperative and if the contractor is not cooperative. It's always much better to start a discussion and process with full knowledge, than not.

Good luck.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    5 years ago

The OP stated that they're using AIA A105-2017 as their contract. If that's the case, then please help me understand why the mistakes have been caught by the owner when an architect is acting as the owner's representative--at least that what article 9 says. Section 9.7 of AIA A105-2017 reads, in part: "...the Architect will promptly interpret and decide matters concerning performance under, and requirements of, the Contract Documents." I would consider the quality and schedule issues raised by the OP as "matters concerning performance." The OP should be getting the service they're paying for from their architect before engaging others at additional expense.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

I know small print at the bottom of a page in a contract is usually important, and red small print at the bottom of a page in a contract is usually very important.

• robin0919
    5 years ago

Have you taken many pics of all the shoddy work that's been done? That would definitely help your case. ditto what bry said. Attorneys are EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE!!

• homechef59
    5 years ago

It's long past time for the attorney. Get one before you may any more mistakes. They will tell you how to get out of the contract without any more pain than is absolutely necessary.

• jmm1837
    5 years ago
    Attorneys are not necessarily "extremely expensive." When we had an issue with our neighbor, we contacted our local solicitor (we'd used him for wills , POAs and conveyancing) to ask for advice. He pointed out the relevant sections of Council regulations, said we had a case, but advised against court proceedings. Based on what he told me, I was able to draw up a submission to Council which got us the desired outcome. Well worth a couple of hundred bucks of the lawyer's time.
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

Whether an attorney is "extremely expensive" is irrelevant. He the OP fires the contractor and only pays him for the work he has already done, I will bed that contractor will head straight to the clerk's office and file a "Mechanic's Lien" on the property. The OP will then have to hire an attorney to write a threatening letter in order to force the contractor to remove the lien.

The OP is going to end up paying an attorney one way or another.

• bry911
    5 years ago

You all are jumping three steps ahead here. The OP hasn't fired the contractor, he is asking questions about terminating the relationship amicably. The best way to do that is a pleasant conversation between reasonable people. The contractor will either say no, or will set some terms for terminating the relationship.

If he says no, then go get an attorney. However, if he offers some termination agreement then see if it works for you. I would consider getting an attorney to draw up the release.

----

The law simply isn't what some people think it is. A good attorney isn't going to tell you are right, he is going to tell you the cost of proving you are right and the risk that you could lose.

Let's assume the OP is correct and the time is of the essence clause is a material breach, which it probably is. That doesn't mean anything. Sure legally you have a great case, meaning your odds of winning are probably better than 80%-90%, but that doesn't mean the contractor is going to see it that way. The question isn't whether or not you can prevail in court, the question is what are the odds of getting to court. What are you going to do when we send the demand letter, followed by a final notice to correct, followed by a termination letter, and then he goes and files a mechanic's lien anyway?

Mechanic's liens have to be perfected in superior court so what are you going to do when you have to spend money on an attorney to prove you don't owe the contractor money? Money that you are not getting back in the judgment. Attorney's specialize in making people see that reasonable negotiation is much better than legal right or wrong.

---

You have a contract there is one easy way out of a contract and that is through the other party. There are a lot of hard and expensive ways out of a contract...

• jmm1837
    5 years ago
    I always like to walk into a negotiation knowing where I stand. When things have the potential to get a bit fractious, understanding the ground rules is important. Sometimes, it's enough to give you a bit of confidence in your own position, and sometimes it gives you an actual edge. And sometimes, it tells you you're on a loser and need to back off.

Time (and a few hundred bucks) spent on reconnaissance is seldom wasted. Only the OP can know whether he's at the point where he needs to do that reconnaissance. But he shouldn't be frightened off by hyperbolic claims about how expensive a simple sit down with a lawyer will actually be.
  • PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    5 years ago

Involving an architect during construction is supposed to minimize potential problems and gray hairs for the owner. The architect's role is described in article 9 of the AIA contract that the OP says they're using. The architect's experience working with dozens or more contractors will help calibrate the owners' experience working with their particular contractor. The contractor might be the world's worse or it could be that's he's the best you can get in the area. Or maybe he's simply the low bid guy and his performance is on par for that. Lean on your architect!

If the OP and their architect (and readers of this thread) will take the time to read article 16 (termination of contract) of AIA A105-2017, they will find that the OP has the option to terminate the contract for convenience (without cause) by settling up with the contractor for costs incurred to date and fair overhead and profit on the uncompleted portion of the work in the original contract scope. See section 16.3. Kinda like a no-contest divorce.

Let the negotiating begin!

• just_janni
    5 years ago

OMG someone actually read the document! ;-)

• bry911
    5 years ago

I assume we all read that contract.

While I agree that 16.3 limits the damage, 16.2 is the real power to negotiate.

We have been told that the OP is using this document and that the OP added a time is of the essence clause to this document.

So Charles Ross Homes, if a 5 second Google search told you that you most likely committed a material breach, and 16.2.4 told you that you were financially responsible for any overage of the replacement contractor, would you negotiate favorably to get out of the deal?

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    5 years ago

We haven't seen the actual contract to know what language is included and what isn't. We don't have confirmation that the OP is even working with an architect as AIA A105-2017 would lead us to believe. And we don't know what state the OP is in, let alone the applicable state contractor regulations, if any, in that state.

While the project completion may be late, there are a lot of things that affect schedule including factors outside the contractor's control--the weather, for example, and availability of subcontractors when their work, too, is affected by the weather. The OP has admitted that the contractor has corrected mistakes when pointed out to them. We don't have any information that there are subcontractor liens on the property. That suggests to me that the contractor is working in good faith within the limits of his ability.

Absent a copy of the approved contract and hearing the contractor's side of the story, I think it's premature to conclude there is a breach of contract--at least according to the criteria of article 16.

• homechef59
    5 years ago

The reason why I suggest a consultation with an attorney is to explore the options and formulate a plan within the law. This way, the OP doesn't spin his wheels uselessly or make unnecessary mistakes. Going to court is always the last resort. But, knowing the law is always the best course of action.

• robin0919
    5 years ago

Charles.....who determines the 'fair' overhead and profit?

• millworkman
    5 years ago

"Charles.....who determines the 'fair' overhead and profit?"

Only the owner of the contracting company can determine what his overhead is. Fair overhead and profit is determined by the market. If your overhead and profit is to high, your not getting work. So the customers end up determining "fair" overhead and profit. Surprising question.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    5 years ago

The OP's question is how they can terminate their contract prior to completion of the work. The first place to look for an answer is in their contract.

Termination is covered in article 16 of the AIA A105-2017 contract document that the OP (who appears to have left the room) says he's using. According to section 16.3, "The Owner may, at any time, terminate the contract for the Owner's convenience and without cause. The Contractor shall be entitled to receive payment for the work executed, and costs incurred by reason of such termination, along with reasonable overhead and profit on the Work not executed."

With regard to which party determines "reasonable overhead and profit," section 9.7 of AIA 105-2017 states "On written request from either the Owner or Contractor, the Architect will promptly interpret and decide matters concerning performance under, and requirements of, the Contract Documents."

• bry911
    5 years ago

I may be alone on this one, but...

While I think it is a bit early to see an attorney, I think it is absolutely stupid to see an architect instead.

Regardless of the responsibilities an architect might have during construction, this is a conflict resolution problem at this point. I didn't go to architecture school, but I must admit I am surprised to know that they also study conflict resolution. Either act as your own agent or hire an experienced attorney.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    5 years ago

It may be smart or it may be stupid, but if both parties have signed the AIA A105-2017 contract, it appears that they've already agreed to use the architect in the role of (borrowing from George W.) "the decider."

• bry911
    5 years ago

it appears that they've already agreed to use the architect in the role of (borrowing from George W.) "the decider."

After careful consideration I revise my opinion, the OP should see an attorney.

I admit that my advice may have been biased by the OP saying, "I believe means that missing the deadline is a material breach." That led me to believe that the OP had done some homework, at least enough to be confident in a meeting. However, given the discussions in this thread, maybe my expectations for general knowledge of contracts are misplaced.

The contract does not say that the Architect will be the decider, only the administrator. How is deciding whether or not a contractor's performance falls within the terms of the contract relevant here? The architect can't change the terms of the contract, nor is he in any way shape or form legally allowed to determine when and if a material breach has happened.

You are a contractor, please tell me you are trying to win an argument, and you don't actually believe that an architect is licensed to practice law.

-----

If the OP and their architect (and readers of this thread) will take the time to read article 16 (termination of contract) of AIA A105-2017, they will find that the OP has the option to terminate the contract for convenience (without cause) by settling up with the contractor for costs incurred to date and fair overhead and profit on the uncompleted portion of the work in the original contract scope. See section 16.3. Kinda like a no-contest divorce.

I was just going to leave this alone but...

16.3 may be the most worthless clause in the entire contract. It limits the contractors collection rights to what the contract would pay him and it does nothing more. These are mostly the exact same rights the contractor would have without this clause.

This is calculated by using the total sum of the contract less any costs the contractor avoided from the termination.

For example: Suppose the contract has $25,000 of materials $15,000 of subcontractor installation charges (their profit and overhead), and $10,000 of contractor profit and overhead for a total amount of $50,000. Suppose all materials have been purchased and are not returnable. 16.3 then states that the contractor will recover all $50,000.

Suppose that $20,000 of materials still haven't been purchased and there are no commitments made for their purchase, then the contractor would get $30,000. It essentially pays the contractor in full for all services as if they had been fully performed, and eliminates extraordinary profit from any unpaid cost of sales.

This is the standard legal assumption in all contracts that if the contractor were not working on your job they would have found equivalent work during that time, and if the customer cancels must pay accordingly, and it is the default position of all courts.

So why is the clause even in there? In very rare cases (probably one in a few thousand) a contractor will say that he planned to market your job in such a way to increase future income. All 16.3 does is remove any claim to loss of future income resulting from the breach. It is not a lot of ink and in very rare cases saves a bit of trouble.

This has to be very close to the last thing the OP wants.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    5 years ago

Please forgive me for offering an alternative (contractor) viewpoint.

There is typically a presumption of guilt on the part of the contractor in these threads. While a contractor may indeed be at fault, readers should keep in mind that only one side of the story is presented. Further, it's rare to get a look at the construction documents which are--or should be-- the basis for the contract the homeowner and contractor have entered into. This lack of this information is, however, rarely an impediment for armchair attorneys who are quick to assign blame to the contractor.

In this specific case, the OP says they're using AIA contract A105-2017 (although they've only shared the sample form from the AIA not a fully executed contract.) This form of contract is one where the architect plays a role in the administration of the contract including inspection of the work and certification of payments. It also makes the architect available, when requested, to interpret and decide matters concerning performance under the contract. Quality of work and conformance to schedule are performance issues which the architect has the technical qualifications to assess. That doesn't make him/her an attorney.

The reason homeowners retain architects to perform contract administration is to benefit from their experience and expertise through project completion. The architect's experience base might be a handful or hundreds of homes, but it should exceed that of the homeowner. I submit that the experienced architect adds value for both parties to the contract: the architect calibrates the homeowner's expectations of what level of quality is reasonable to expect given the scope and cost and they hold the contractor to that same standard. Doing so requires that the architect not show partiality to either party and to render their interpretations and decisions in good faith as per section 9.8

If the OP has retained an architect for contract administration, I stand by my recommendation that they should lean on their architect before hiring other professionals at additional expense.

• bry911
    5 years ago

There is typically a presumption of guilt on the part of the contractor in these threads.

With respect, I said originally that guilt doesn't matter in the least and the presumption of guilt is even less important. I said, "He is certainly in breach, but that really isn't the question, it is whether or not he knows he is in breach."

Time is of the essence is an incredibly powerful and punitive line in a contract. It means that the contractor is in breach for any foreseeable delays. Foreseeable includes weather and shortages that are not both unusual in occurrence and infrequent in nature.

Again, as you continually prove, it is absolutely unimportant whether or not the contractor is in breach. The question really is, can you get the contractor to accept a termination of the contract at a reasonable cost? All other questions of right or wrong, material breach or immaterial breach do not matter.

Legal questions are almost always questions of marginal cost and marginal benefit and are almost never a question of right, wrong or the law. They are largely battles of attrition. You can be absolutely 100% right in every legal sense and spend $50,000 on attorney fees proving you are owed $40,000. On the other hand you can have absolutely no right of recovery at all and get a check for $40,000 without spending a single penny on attorney fees.

---

This is a fairly easy question and one that isn't really legal at all. Can the OP get the contractor to agree to release him from the contract? That has nothing at all to do with who is at fault. NOTHING. Nor is it likely to ever really have anything to do with fault or breach. Even if original negotiations fail you are just going to get an attorney to write letters trying to accomplish the exact same thing. A release of the contract. Final arbitration of breach vs. compliance comes in a court room after many thousands in legal fees and any attorney who lets this case get that far, should be tarred and feathered.

• User
    5 years ago

My gut tells me that there is not a separate architect involved. Seems like the contractor is the architect to me.

• robin0919
    5 years ago

mill.....I KNOW that but MOST people DON'T and they take advantage of that to make as much money they can!!!!!

jmm.......YES attorneys are EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE!!!!!! Around 90% of their work is from their paralegals(that make a fraction of what they do) but charge 'their' rates!!!! I know this as a FACT!!! They take advantage and charge as much as they can get away with!!!!!

• jmm1837
    5 years ago
    Robin - no, you don't know that as a fact. Simple advice from a lawyer can be quite inexpensive. Litigation is always expensive. But legal advice doesn't have to result in court action: quite often it prevents legal action, and good lawyers will tell you when to hold 'em, tell you when to fold 'em. And if you listen, that can save you a lot of money. Problem is, a lot of people don't want to hear what they're being told.
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

Well...either the OP wants appropriate legal advice or s/he doesn't.

The issue posted by the OP was how to terminate an existing construction agreement before all contracted work was complete.

It's not difficult.

Talk to the contractor to see if s/he is willing to terminate the agreement and on what terms. It's either a yes or a no.

The issue for the OP is simply whether or not the OP wants expert advice on strategies for the "yes" or "no" answers from the contractor...or not.

All the rest of this thread is really just posturing.

Especially all of the !!!!!!

• bry911
    5 years ago

YES attorneys are EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE!!!!!! Around 90% of their work is from their paralegals(that make a fraction of what they do) but charge 'their' rates!!!! I know this as a FACT!!! They take advantage and charge as much as they can get away with!!!!!

A paralegal isn't going to be involved in a consultation in this situation, so despite your assertion that this does happen in the industry, it is not relevant to this OP.

Things do get expensive when the attorney starts interacting with other parties. The attorney who handles my rental properties charges $50 for a phone call up to 5 minutes and $50 for each additional increment up to 12 minutes, so I can get poor real quick when we play phone tag or he waits on hold, but that isn't material here.

---

Furthermore, the whole paralegal vs attorney billings largely doesn't matter. A fact that someone with as many business degrees as you supposedly have should know.

First, if the work product is valuable to you because of its outcome and without regard to who did it. You are actually paying for their expertise and not their time, they just choose an hourly rate to bill for your desired outcome.

Second, attorneys don't really make that much money. I would have to take a pretty substantial pay cut to practice law full time rather than teaching. The fact is, it is simply a lot more expensive to run a law firm than people realize. So the idea that attorneys use a lot of paralegal work is largely moot. It is really a zero sum game, if they billed for more paralegal hours and less attorney hours, the rates would simply have to be adjusted such that attorney hours were significantly more expensive. The net result would be most clients would be charged substantially the same thing.

It is a simple job order costing model, and in the end, service revenue has to remain fairly constant.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals