SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grace_smith012

GC Wants to Add New Grout on Top of Old

Grace Smith
5 years ago
Our marble hexagon mosaic floor was grouted several weeks ago with Custom sanded grout. It has tiny holes in the grout and it has lots of gaps. It seems to pass the credit card level test, though. The feel of it seems more powdery than I thought it should and it has lots of pin size holes.

Our GC for our new build looked at the tile for the first time since it’s been installed and thinks it just needs more grout. I don’t think that’s the answer, and I thought you should not add new on top of old.

In my opinion, it was a rushed grouting job and so it looks un-smooth. If putting new grout over old is wrong, how do I explain this to our GC.

We need to add countertops so that we can keep moving forward on our build, but I feel we shouldn’t add countertops to vanities until this is resolved. The vanities have legs, so the tile runs under them.

I’m inclined to tell them to let it go because the only way to do the grout right is to remove it, which is too difficult for a mosaic floor in a large bathroom. Maybe they could give us a large discount for the shoddy grout work.

Is there anything else that can be done for a poor grout job to smooth it out? Shouldn’t unsanded grout have been used? The marble is heavily scratched because of the grout :(

Comments (16)