SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluebell66

Pruning Mophead Hydrangea

Bluebell66
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We have a beautiful stretch of large pink mophead hydrangea along our garage. In the three autumns we have been in our house, I have only deadheaded the old blooms, avoiding cutting off branches with new buds, which I thought were required for next year's blooms.

I recently chatted with the guy who used to do all the landscape maintenance for the previous owners of our home. He told me he cut these hydrangea down every year by about a third, not paying attention to the buds already set for next year and recommended that I do the same. I’m afraid to do as he suggests! However, the last two summers they have not looked very good. The flower heads aren’t nearly as large, the pink isn't as intense, and the leaves don’t look as healthy.

Has anyone had luck doing as this landscape guy suggests? Should I really cut back these hydrangea as severely as I’m being told? The plants are probably 15 years old, and I’m in zone 5.

(This photo is from the first year in our home. The two years right after that we've had maybe a quarter of these blooms.)

My Pics · More Info

Thanks!

Comments (18)