SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wendiwho

Need advice on countertop seam disaster

wendiwho
5 years ago

We worked with a designer to selected a countertop material, and she suggested rainforest green marble (really serpentine) as a good choice to go with our to-be-refinished dark cabinets. Given that we have a large kitchen, we knew that there would be some seaming, and that it would not be "perfect" due to the variation in the product, but we were assured that the fabricators were very sensitive and aware of the veining in the product, had worked with it before, and that matching the veins was one of their high priorities.

We picked the slab, hired the fabricators, and prepared to be thrilled with the results. For the most part, they are what we expected, and we can see that it will be a good match once the cabinets are in and the floor is replaced.

Except for one flaw. The fabricator chose to place a seam next to a bright white vein that runs perpendicular to the wall, and the next "panel" includes white veins that run parallel to the wall. And this seam is right above the dishwasher, in one of the most used parts of the kitchen. What were they thinking?

Has anyone else had experience with bad seaming in their kitchen? If so, what did you do? Am I over-reacting? Do I have any choice other than "shut up and put up?" I've included a photo that shows the overall kitchen--definitely under construction, the floors, backsplash, and trim will change, and the cabinet doors are out for refinishing--and the detail of the problematic seam. I appreciate your input.

Comments (22)