SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shaggysgirl

Creating an entryway when the front door opens into the living room.

Susan S
5 years ago

We live in a carriage house that was built back in the late 1800s and renovated somewhere along the way to be a residential property. And our door opens right up into our living room. Not having an actual foyer or even any type of entryway, I want to create something - it is desperately needed especially in the winter months - school gear, jackets, gloves etc., despite my best efforts, all wind up in a heap on a chair. I'm thinking of doing something similar to this: https://www.potterybarn.com/products/wall-mount-coat-rack/ (picture number 2 - minus the cubby organizer as there is a window where that would go). I think I want more of a natural fiber runner in the space where this will go, but the room has a 9x12 vintage medallion style rug in it already (room is 500 square feet). Can you mix rug styles in that way that keeps things looking cohesive? I can't imagine putting another vintage style rug/runner in that area...I feel like it would be too busy, unless it's in a completely neutral color, I suppose?

Comments (3)