SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberlynels

Installing a Mr. Heater 50,000 BTU heater with a vertical vent.

kimberlynels
5 years ago

Hello,

We are installing a Mr. Heater 50,000 BTU garage heater into our 2 car garage in Minnesota. The unit will be in the corner of our garage and will run off natural gas to be installed by a plumber. Regarding the venting, I have several questions:

1.) Ideally I'd like to vent directly vertical through the drywall, insulation and roof with no bends, but I'm not sure I can do that. The manual says, "The vent must extend at least 3' above the highest point where it passes through a roof of a building and at least 2' higher than any part of a building within a horizontal distance of 10' unless otherwise specified by the National Fuel Gas Code."

The picture isn't ideal, but the vent would come out by the corner of the garage (corner is indicated by the bird feeder). Does the pitch of the roof factor into the "10' horizontal distance ? How about the gable above the kitchen windows? Would the vent need to be higher than all that?

2.) I plan on using 4" class B pipes. Do I need a sleeve around that to protect insulation?

Thanks!

Comment (1)