SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katyhiggs

To paint or not to paint kitchen cabinets????

K S
5 years ago

Hi All! I am seeking advice ASAP on whether to paint my oak cabinets. I want a paint color that is versatile if we do paint as I may change out the backsplash and/or counters down the road.

We will use Sherwin Williams so any specific colors appreciated.

I am also open to any feedback about the floors and wall color. My goal is to modernize and freshen up. Our home was built in the 1950's.

TIA!!!

Wish List · More Info

Wish List · More Info

Comments (40)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

You can paint over the back splash, at least for the time being. If you are willing to do that, paint it matte black (leather look). Paint the cabinets gray and change the hardware.

A gray darker than your floor, but in the same tone…Dovetail, possibly.

Brushed chrome for hardware…just like the finish on the doorknob above.

• Related Discussions

thinking about buying this house and renovating - pics

Q

Comments (18)
    Thanks for all your responses. We looked at it again with older, wiser folks ;) and there were some issues that they pointed out. Issues that we don't want to tackle. Also, I decided that if I would ever do a renovation to an older home, it should be on an older home with some sort of character or charm. There's really no point in dumping money into this particular home. There's no architectural charm whatsoever. One thing that I was "right" about, however, is that renovations in areas such as this can be profitable since the homes range from 250K to over a million. With that being said though, I was NOT looking to profit. I just want to be in a good location in a house that I like. The example given by an agent is if the land alone will sell for 250K - 290K, then the land with a 2300 sf house all updated nicely can sell for well over 400K. Baton Rouge doesn't follow the usual "rules" in certain locations. Another example, sort of, is there's a mid century modern house that I really want (husband doesn't like it) for 525K, but they purchased it 6 months ago for 319K, and haven't done a thing to it. Agent expects it to sell for 375-400K according to comps, but wouldn't be surprised if they got closer to what they are asking due to location. Someone may come along and buy it for what they are asking then drive up the price per square foot in the neighborhood. This seems to be a trend over here. Location really talks since the city is running out of IN CITY property. @ Artichokey, yes we have large life insurance policies on both of us etc etc. My husband is an insurance nut. He gets it on EVERYTHING. It's annoying, really. Also, if anything ever happened to my husband and I needed to go back to work, I could and would. KickyMarcia, we took a tour of the house you posted, but the pool is an issue and there were a lot of things that I would want to update and or change. I'm the problem. I'm too picky. So, we will just wait until the right house comes up. Livewireoak, public schools in Baton Rouge are a mess right now. It's a political debate not suitable for here. But trust me, they're nothing like the schools in Tennessee. Either way, we LOVE the Catholic school they are currently attending. It's a great school, Church, and Community that makes the drive just something I have to do. Hopefully, however, we will find a home soon that gets us closer to the school. In the meantime, NancyinMich, I will check out those coolers. :) Again, thanks for all of your opinions and advice! Take care!
    ...See More

Has anyone painted (or had painted) metal kitchen cabinets?

Q

Comments (13)
    If all they need is a good cleaning then that is what you need to do. After which go to Lowes and get Rustoleum paint in a can. It is the most amazing product I have ever used. I will never use their spray again. It flows and levels like you won't believe. It also goes a LONG way. I did our pool surround with it. I used a green scrubby and cleaned the metal coping first. I rinsed and let dry. I then applied 3 light coats. No sanding. None. Rustoleum even tells you that there is no need to sand. They have great primers too but I didn't need them as the surface was in good shape...this is a pool coping that is 25 yrs old !! It looks new now. Has held up well so far..has been 4 months now. Please look at the Rustoleum web site and even email them if you have questions. There is NO reason to sand those cabs if the paint is soiled but intact. NONE !! This will cost you nothing but time and they will look great. Also you can get the paint tinted any color :) c
    ...See More

Can regular paint go over Cabinet Coat?

Q

Comments (3)
    The flat paint isn't recommended for a cabinet or other furniture. Especially flat red. It will leave a lot of brush strokes and look horrible after drying. The red finish will burnish every time you attempt to clean it, or even touch it. But, if you don't intend to ever touch it or wash it, or care how ugly it will be, go for it. :) When BM says "slight wash ability" they do mean slight. Regal flat is for ceilings and walls that don't get touched.
    ...See More

paint or not paint our kitchen cabinets

Q

Comments (68)
    Going back to the 4 pictures that you posted of dark cabinet kitchens that you like --The first and fourth are the only ones that work for me, because the color tones in all elements work together. The 3rd one reminds me strongly of your current situation -- mixing browns and greys that aren't fully compatible, and overall coming out wrong even with the lighter colors mixed in. Keeping in mind that colors may not be showing correctly to real life on my screen, it seems to me that your counter is quite wrong for your cabinets and in the close up your backsplash also seems wrong, more brownish, warm greys and browns but not the same brown as the counter. So 3 color elements that stand alone instead of complement. A different counter in a light white or (cool, not yellowish) cream might be enough to pull it all together and make the splash work. I don't think that changing the splash would ever make the counter work. Painting the cabinets would be purely based on what your heart desires.
    ...See More
  • herbflavor
    5 years ago

put some brushed aluminum or brushed chrome hardware on your cabinets. Get it closer to what your kitchen is. those handles altho I remember them, were not the best of the era by any stretch. They went with avocado and harvest gold and laminate that had wagonwheels and weird stuff. You have progressed now with your kitchen. But still right in that time frame. Don't paint.

• jhmarie
    5 years ago

Here is a warm wood kitchen Idea book if you want to work with the wood cabinets. Wood slab cabinets are a little in right now.

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/75202366/list/wood-kitchens

Those example don't have slab doors - so keep that in mind.

I would not do gray. Gray is OK when the doors have some variation - like a raised center panel or shaker. Then the shadows come into play and give interest. Gray slab doors sound drab.

If you want to paint, consider white or a color. The floor is not working great with the warm wood, so paint may be your best option.

• Susie .
    5 years ago
    The backsplash looks like glass. I wouldn’t recommend painting glass, but it doesn’t look good with the countertop. Tile isn’t that hard to take out and replace (it would be less work than painting the cabinets). If you use a grain filler on the oak, it will give you a smoother surface, but I’m still not sure I would spend the time on them. You will want new hardware, including the hinges to help modernize. Are they in decent shape on the inside? Personally, I’d just save my money for new cabinets, get rid of the soffit, etc.
  • acm
    5 years ago

Not a single voice to celebrate the mid-century glory of your original cabinets?!?

Mid-Century Modern Ranch Kitchen Remodel · More Info

Pacific NW Mid-Century Kitchen Remodel · More Info

• K S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you all for your feedback and advice! I agree painting the cabinets is too risky and I actually really love the grain on the cabinets. Down the road we can budget in new door/drawer faces.

We would have replaced the hardware a while ago but there is either a lacquer or clear coat of some sort that was put over the cabinets without taking off the hardware. The existing hardware is now permanently etched on when taken off. This makes for finding new hardware to cover this quite difficult. I'm open to ideas as this is keeping me stuck!

The backsplash....I promise to not paint it! We updated the backsplash awhile back and this is an easy fix.....as are the floors. We have original red oak throughout the house and unfortunately they were not put in the kitchen.
  • K S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks acm. It's funny....we have friends over and if we talk house updating the first thing people say is...."if you repainted the cabinets it would look a lot better." lol. I think considering painting them was me starting to give in to others ideas. I really love our mid century house and the wood cabinets everywhere.
  • K S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here is the hardware issue.

• K S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

pic with both

• K S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I love the look of these cabinets, unpainted with new hardware in our main bathroom. New floor needed....it is amazing faux pebble linoleum;) An easy fix at some point as are the other aesthetic things in there.

Wish List · More Info

Wish List · More Info

• herbflavor
    5 years ago

let a local refinisher address the markings. There 's a way. I can't tell if it's rust..or bleeding..I can't tell if it's indented.. I can't tell how many layers of "what" composes those spots. I can tell you that a pro can handle that. And default is a backplate behind a handle...but not just yet.

K S thanked herbflavor
  • mnmamax3
    5 years ago

You'll want to measure the center to center length (probably 2 1/4 or 3") as well as the widest width of the pull that needs to be covered.

• tatts
    5 years ago

Your bathroom floor was a wonder in the day. It was the best of the then-new vinyl floors, in 1963. We had it in our kitchen in the house my parents built that year. That and the then-new polyurethane finish ("Gym-seal") on the hardwood floors was a topic of conversation during the build..

• K S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

herbflavor....these are all good questions. I couldn't help myself so I took some sandpaper to the darker part. It seemed to improve but is still there. It's not indented much... a very light sanding and it is flat with the rest. Looks like the layer is quite then considering my very mild sanding. I believe it's the same coating as my bathroom cabinets but those cabinets are starting to peel. I'll get a picture. But yes....I will reach out to a cabinet refinisher and see what advice he has.

• K S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wish List · More Info

• K S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

tatts....thank you for the history! That's cool that you have those memories of homes built during that time. Our house was built in 1958 and I think the original owners must have splurged on certain things as we also have "nicer" brick on our fireplace and on part of the front of the house. I hear a lot, "I've seen a lot bad brick and that brick isn't so bad."

• K S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

tatts, now that I have the info that this may be the orignial floor...I just might not be able to redo the floors:)

acm...might as well bring it back and celebrate the home's true roots. Oak cabinets, pebble linoleum and all!

Thanks everyone! Really appreciate your help as we navigate the updates!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

a closer look at the condition of those cabinets and my vote is to strip them and redo. The pics that acm posted look beautiful, but they aren't the original cabs from the 50's. However, you can make yours look very similar.

Since yours are all flat panel, you could do the same stain color so as not to have to do the body (other than some cleaning and touch ups), just the slab drawers/doors and any side panels.

Your cabs are probably the easiest ones to redo. . In fact, you prob wouldn't even have to strip them. I've done similar wood with nothing but sanding off the existing finish, and coating w/a fresh stain and clear coat.

for the hardware change, you could apply wood filler to only the bottom holes (they have filler in different wood tones to make it less noticeable) before you sand and stain. if done right, you won't even notice it. Or, you can try and find hardware w/the same hole span and use those like they've done here (they redid the wood thought) . this is what yours could look like

Or, this one. this is a beautiful redo, paying homage to the mcm vibe. the blue is gorgeous w/the wood cabinets.

This is what you need w/your cabs. this cool blue tone. would look beautiful w/your flooring and the warm wood cabinets. And it would still work w/your countertop.

I would love to get my hands on your cabinets and redo them! The trickiest part would be removing them, keeping the exact hinges on each one (or removing and marking them so that they go back exactly as they were) and rehanging them.

to test to see what the clear coat, try a cotton ball dipped in rubbing alcohol. wipe it across the wood. does it get gummy? then it's shellac. If nothing happens, then it's prob a varnish. either way, after all these years it's been worn down quite a bit and an orbital sander with graduating grits of sandpaper will take care of it.

can I show you a few photos of some wood I've redone that were 100x times worse than your cabs? my point is to show you how amazing wood is and how relatively simple it is to get it to bounce back to beautiful again.

i bought this for $15. what? "you paid money for that??" lol. yes. I needed to learn.

this was a nice piece of walnut under all that mess and it took stain beautifully.

Mahogany drop down table had seen better days.

I'm only posting these so you can see that your wood cabs can look brand spanking new, and look beautiful! Refinish your cabs!

K S thanked Beth H. :
  • rantontoo
    5 years ago

Are your doors veneered plywood? Are you sure they are oak and not birch? If they are original, I think veneered birch plywood would have been more common than oak, but I am not a MCM expert. Do the cabs have individual boxes or were they built in place?

It might be worth the time and effort to find someone to quote cutting new slab fronts out of birch or maple veneered plywood. Birch is easier to stain than maple, but maple would be easier to paint. That way you would only need to grain fill the cab fronts and paint to match.

K S thanked rantontoo
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

the kitchen cabs aren't maple or birch. they look like oak. the bathroom cabinets appear to be one of the others.

• redsilver
    5 years ago

My folks have the same cabinets. Painting them???? OMG...the doors are probably hand split with a tool on the inside so they close nicely. Paint on those edges would cause you so much pain in the ***... They probably took a wood chisel and took off about 3/8 deep, but half the width of the wood plank, of an inch on the perimeter inside, and they were built ONSITE as part of the house. The shelves likely, are built into the walls, by the carpenters that built the house!!

The drawer and door pulls are an easy fix. You can remove them and probably clean them with a very very fine steel wool? perhaps, and than spray paint them your favorite color with a metal paint, such as dark brown or gold or tan or taupe on the side you see only..? Than in the day, you have that polyurethane water proof finish, /or old fashioned varnish? It seals as you say and it will just bubble all over the place as air gets too it. Talk to a paint store veteran, and find out, I think LAVA bar soap can be used to remove it, or there are many products. Once they are stripped, than you can use any thing on them but NOT lacquer(not water proof, going to bad places quick if you do that). It's a big job, my folks did it twice that I can recall and thru the paneling on their walls in the den too, and built in bookshelves. If you can find a qualified old school, expert, you won't be sorry, and they will look so awesome! But there is no room for a paint tolerance on the inside of those doors.

The hinges and the drawers will not work with a layer of paint on them, and they would have to be stripped anyway, to paint them...and you can paint them again in less than 5 years likely...

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

steel wool and bar keepers friend will clean up the handles,,,but i think she wants to replace them. I agree. time for something different.

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

+1 for refinishing and keeping the woodgrain. Unless you were to change the style of the kitchen with something like a shaker door/drawer front, I wouldn't paint them. Good luck on your project!

• K S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beth, I love your work! If you were close to the Pacific Northwest I would be more than happy to have you refinish my cabinets! However, I think this is absolutely something my DIY husband will take on. I absolutely plan to refinish them and will NOT paint them. After this post I have a new found love for this home and the original charm that is still here....it just needs a refresh. I really like the picture with the blue aqua backsplash. That kitchen is perfect and very mcm!

Rantontoo, I thought both kitchen and bathroom cabinets were oak but totally assumed that. I'm really not sure what they are. I took a picture of the inside of the door...as now I am very curious.

Redsilver, you are totally right! I can now see where painting would be a huge pain! The doors are carved out just right for a perfect fit. How cool is that!!! True carpenters! I had not even considered that the hinges and pulls would not fit after painting but either way I had planned to replace the hardware.

Here's a pic of the inner part of the doors.

Wish List · More Info

Wish List · More Info

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

great! your husband can redo them. they really are easy to do. if he removes them from the hinges, be certain to mark them!!! you must put them back in their exact place or they will never fit correctly. I use tape on the spines and number accordingly. also, if you remove the hinges to clean, make sure they go back on the same door in the same place! trust me on this one.

I love the blue mosaic tile. I can find you tons more when you're ready. post a pic when they're done. (and that current backsplash is really bad for this mcm type kitchen. sorry,,it just doesn't work)

• redsilver
    5 years ago

I will say that my folks did not remove the doors when they stripped and revarnished them at all. Only the drawers were pulled out... They had single hole pulls so they removed, scrubbed and cleaned and spray painted them with a soft, gold metallic and they held up a long time, on the doors, and drawers were handles...NOTE: If you change them, the new shape and the wood discoloration, will not match that unique outline, really, unless you find handles that 1. line up with the existing holes and 2. buy handles that you can also** buy a strike plate to match that hides the discolored arrows completely... Than, you will have to find screws that are able to handle such a thin door, and that is not fun. I think you will save headaches if you can make the existing handles work. I think. Just a heads up to make sure every step in your plan is well thought out and planned for.

You will need LOTS of painters cloth(or newspapers layered)>on your counters, ..Use a good brush suitable for your clear coat and it should work fine. A shiney finish is more durable than a satin finish, they have said in other posts, so do a shiney finish first coat, and sand gently with recommended professional grit...and than do your satin finish. They will look spectacular. Go very light on those chiseled interior edges with your clear coat....so they close properly, as we said earlier..

Removing those doors will result in issues with stripped old screws, hinges, threads in the wood that may not accept the screws again...Let him work in only one area, like an upper or lower run of 3 or 4, and see how that reassembles, so that he can make adjustments on that small area, and doesn't have your whole garage in chaos and your kitchen for days and days... LOL...Seen or survived 8/ alot of kitchen redoos...none were as easy, but all were worth it, eventually....the bad experiences are the most memorable... LOL

• redsilver
    5 years ago

OH, I am betting those are ASH cabinets. The premium wood for their day. Highly sought for the grain... The discoloration behind the handles is where moisture went because the handles were varnished over likely as you said, the wood was NOT sealed. Imagine, buying a kitchen of ASH cabinets for an old gutted kitchen...and having the expert come in and LACQUER thousands of dollars of beautiful plaque style kitchen cabinets after they were stained and sanded. Now, imagine several children later, having the tops of every cabinet door on the lower and every upper cabinet door between the stove and the sink, but absolutely BLACK like yours are behind the pulls....moisture, into the wood(Lacquer is great for the coffee table or bedroom headboard)swells the grain, and over time, the grain absorbs everything a cook can have on her hands when she opens the drawer or the door with the handle or pull..around that area and on the top or lower edges(times when the fingers went to the wood)....totally ruined....not one thing you can do about it, new doors and drawers are the extent of it.... So yes, polyurethane runs easier, dries slower, and varnish takes a while to get very dry, so you can sand and apply the 2nd coat.....but the wood will never turn swollen or black from moisture, as your cabinets have not where the finish was applied well. That is the reason, those pulls and hinges may be your best friend, so clean them and paint them if you need to on the fronts, so they can go back and hide the discolored or stained wood behind them now..if you cannot find door handle strike plates to camouflage the new handles you might choose..

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

Ash is very possible. as for the handle marks, if he strips and/or sands, the outline will disappear. I have done it on many pieces. filling holes w/wood filler takes a bit of finesse, as it can shrink and you'll have a divot. so those are a little more detailed work. that's why I said to find handles w/the same hole spacing.

if he can work on those while they're hanging, great. just know that stripped screws and holes can easily be fixed. you can also find replacement hinges to match those. RetroRenovation or any other hardware place that specializes in vintage hinges. it's just difficult to sand/stain around those hinges without leaving marks. the parts that screw into the door are ok to remove,,,it's the hinge part on the cabinet base itself that is a pain to screw with (no pun intended)

as for the thin wood and hardware, you can cut the screw backs if they're too long, or buy hardware meant for thin panels.

Have him practice on the inside of a few doors first to see how it looks.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

Paint these cabinets. Just paint the exterior of the boxes and the front of the doors. I did this and it worked just fine for 30 years! Here’s a picture.

I left the hinges on the doors as we were afraid the holes would loosen up, so doors were NOT taken down. I use oil-based enamel both times they were painted (changed my color scheme!).

I coulld not have lived in my kitchen if I had not painted them. They’re screamed, “I’m cheap and very ugly!”. We did replace the old Formica countertops with Glacier White Corian; I reused them when I finally got new cabinets 2 years ago. They still look great after 34 years.

• redsilver
    5 years ago

I agree. Corian, white, is the premium counter top. I would love to have that over the waves and speckled of the stone tops so many want today. The kitchen is a busy place. All that motion from dark outer space(flecks)and ocean waves(the wavey designs) just add to the chaos. But alot of folks have a higher tolerance and want to be convinced that Radon on the counter, is a great thing...LOL I guess it replaces the crazy wallpaper patterns in the kitchens of the 60's plaids, coffeepots and tea pitchers, or flowers, perhaps? But a little wall paper on a firdown is alot more fun that swimming in a G shaped kitchen surrounded by speckles, waves, and grout lines tooo yet. LOL Too, I guess that is why people want to paint the woodgrain? but a solid countertop makes things like woodgrain shine much prettier, than MDF painted cabinets and speckled granite? LOL Oh well, trends come and they go...

• jackie_thomas87
    5 years ago

Adding a fresh coat of white on cabinets is a great way to make the space more modern and inviting. Switching out the handles on the cabinets is an easy fix as well!

• PRO
    GannonCo
    5 years ago

3/8 step hinges? They pose an issue as the styles and colors are limited.

Try Barker Cabinets you can easily make those drawers and doors full overlay which means you would only see the doors no frames. This would give a very clean modern look. If you like slab doors as you have they are very reasonably priced and might shock you that for under $1000 you have a brand new looking kitchen.

If not I would sand not strip. Buy a nice random orbital sander and progressive grits from 180-220-400 and your ready for a nice fresh coat of General Finishes clear.

By the way that Bar Keepers Friend contains oxalic acid which will also take the stain from the handle off and can also be used to bleach the wood back to new.

If you like the tone they are now try repairing the areas that are damaged by sanding and applying amber shellac and then clear coat over what you have with a light sanding. General Finishes Enduro clear also has a slight amber tint to it like old non water based clears. I would not use a water based clear because it will not have the look you want on that species of wood.

Good luck!

• Kathi Steele
    5 years ago

I'm sorry. Those look like plywood cabinet door fronts. It may have an ash overlay, but it is plywood. They need to be replaced.

The countertop you have looks nice, from the pictures.

The backsplash is very gaudy and distracting.

• Fori
    5 years ago

I love the hardware for those cabinets. Classic!

If it were mine, I'd first refresh the cabinet finish, then replace the floor, then redo the backsplash. The floor is far more egregious than the backsplash. A cheery colorful linoleum (not vinyl) would be really nice in there.

Yes, they are plywood doors. And they are sturdy and beautiful and rather desirable. You can't get that tidy stepped/semi-inset/whatever it's called construction without using plywood. And you can't find anyone that makes them anymore. Yeah, I looked. It's a lot more labor and requires more precision than modern cheesy overlay cabinets, or even inset.

Plywood is a wonderful product for cabinetry. I'm surprised anyone would suggest that veneered plywood is anything less than totally acceptable.

• PRO
    Clare
    5 years ago

You can never go wrong with a classic white kitchen. White will also be a lot more forgiving with the wood texture of your cabinetry and will also coordinate nicely with your floors. Check out Clare.com for a beautiful selection of interior designer curated paint colors. Get easy peel & stick swatches, paint and all the supplies you'll need to paint, delivered right to your door!

• cat_ky
    5 years ago

I would refinish them, and keep the mcm look. I have always removed the hinges, and no problem reinstalling them. What I have had a problem is, that the hinges are different than what they are now. You may find some that look exactly like what you have, in a chrome, etc, but, once you put them on, those doors wont close or fit properly. You are better off, to clean the ones you have very very good, and then prime them and spray them, with one of the brushed spray finishes. They will be a tiny bit different looking, than your new hardware but, it really wont be noticable, since not much of the hinge actually shows anyway. I agree on the blue backsplash, and someday, maybe you can redo the flooring. I like gray flooring, but, for your kitchen, it wasnt a good choice, unfortunately.

• K S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Fori and others...I found this cool article about plywood in the Pacific Northwest which is where I am. The unfortunate part is the company that eventually took over production of plywood stopped making it in 1963. The cool part is my home was built in 1958...so just maybe my cabinets evolved from the pioneers of plywood. M and M Woodworking Company

• justlol
    5 years ago

I have similar cabinets and hardware. I took off the handles and cleaned them with Bar Keepers Friend. It was just a temporary fix as I am remodeling the kitchen next spring and the cabinets will be going to the dump! Our house was built in 1960, but it's not MCM. It's a two-story, mid-century, colonial. I would probably keep my cabinets if my style was more contemporary, but I like a more traditional design.

• Daisy S
    5 years ago
    Those cabinet doors are two pieces of plywood with veneers, nothing expensive or noteworthy there. They were probably built in place. My parents had theirs refaced and put on new doors because the construction was solid and they were custom built onto the walls -