SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkayetwvz5

Weeks/Bedard/Carruth roses for east coast

lkayetwvz5
5 years ago

After receiving my new Edmund catalog I am of course in love with several of the new roses! I can't find a zone hardiness on any of them. Default is usually 6b but I'm in z5. I took the time to watch the Weeks Trial Garden video with Christian Bedard in Pomona, California. Of course it's easy to get blown away with pictures of perfect roses and listen to the assurance that they will do wonderful for you in your garden but several things came to light. First he points out the healthy thick foliage, the tons of blooms and buds and said that is what he breeds for. He says if the rose does not perform well he has not done his job. But then he says if the rose does not perform well in your garden it's because there's something wrong with your soil, it's in the wrong location or you picked the wrong variety?!?!?! Several of his new varieties this year say they are 'an excellent choice for West Coast', 'best performance on the West Coast', and 'those on the West Coast may get the most enjoyment'....Okay I'm on the east coast and these don't sound like something I would want to buy. I also noticed he kept saying no disease - no powdery mildew, no rust, never mentioned BS. It's easy to grow roses in California, especially Pomona - it's the home of the Rose Parade and the cut flower industry and there is next to no humidity (I lived out there for 6 years). Only on one rose in the walk thru video he does mention 'some resistance to BS' but that was the only one. He says he has trial gardens all over, including Ohio, Tennessee and New York and if it doesn't do well in all the trial gardens it is not offered but here we have these west coast specific offerings. The host/commentator mentioned fertilizer at one point and he got a rather strange expression on his face and deferred to his minions in the field and said he tells them not to baby the roses, only one fertilizer and not to water because he wants the toughest for his selections. I agree with that, sort of but he showed roses in the video that had just been planted in January and were 3-4' high with multiple canes and covered in foliage and flowers. I can't see that happening in the mud I saw beneath the plants and no fertilizer. They were also irrigated. I have never had any of the newer Bedard/Carruth roses and I am wondering if I should pass them by as just more hype out for my buck.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting