SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn327

Root Mealies / Root Aphids? ackkkk. How to keep from spreading?

lynn327
5 years ago

found creepy crawlies on the roots of my alocasia (previous posts: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/alocasia-frydek-leaves-yellowing-dying-dsvw-vd~5470103 and https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5-1-1-mix-staying-too-wet-dsvw-vd~5518258) ---

In trying to remove more dying leaves, an entire rhizome came up easily from the soil and appeared to be rotting/falling apart (and smells terrible). On further inspection there are tiny tan / light brown bugs crawling around on it! Ackkk. A few other rhizomes show similar situation.

I can't tell if it's root mealies or root aphids. I'll have to check tomorrow when there's better light to look under (I don't have a magnifying glass). I am thinking root aphids because at one point we kept finding little gnats in our apartment and thought they may have come in on the plants (but haven't seen any lately). But also at one point there was that white film over the soil..

I'm totally fine with just tossing the plant if needed, but I'm super concerned I've unintentionally spread whatever it is to several other plants during watering, soil checking, etc.

Any advice? Can I pre-treat my remaining plants if they're not showing signs of infection? What should I treat them with and how often? Should I unpot and check them all thoroughly (I'm afraid this will cause further cross contamination and spread any infestations). How fast do these guys spread? I literally have one sink I can water my plants in, so I'm not sure how to go about watering all 20 or so without possibility for water cross contamination :(

How do I sanitize surfaces etc. to not spread things?

I literally just took this plant out of quarantine about 2 weeks ago and it's been hanging out next to my beloved rubber plant, and regularly watered with other plants and possibly I may have even reused a skewer from this pot in other pots to check soil dampness. arghhhh. Advice much appreciated!

Comments (5)