SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinam61

Does your spouse work from home (interesting detail from Sue B's post)

tinam61
5 years ago

As I was reading through Sue's post again this morning (reading the new replies), I suddenly realized there must be several of us with work-from-home spouses. My husband made the change a couple of years ago. He owns his own business (does design, machining and fabrication) and has a workshop at home. It was a great decision for us. He loves working for himself, working from home, etc. With the type work he does, he can really have a very flexible schedule, other than days when he has appointments, installations, etc. We have an older dog who is loving the extra attention and I feel good that he is there with her on days I work (for the most part). We both have a parent left and my dad quit driving this year and needs a bit of help with meals, grocery shopping, companion for dr's appointments, etc. An example is yesterday - my dad broke a piece on his glasses last week and yesterday hubby took the glasses back to the optometrist to have the lens inserted in the new frames. Last week, he took dad for a haircut one morning. His mother still drives, etc. but needs help from time to time. We also have a rental house and just last week my hubby was able to spend a couple of days at that house doing small repairs, letting house-cleaners in, etc. It is such a help. Of course, the day he spent half a day at the rental house, he ended up working late into the evening. Sometimes he will put in hours on the weekend, but for the most part he is able to work his schedule around the days I'm off and assisting our parents. I'll be retiring completely in June and am looking forward to us having more time together. He loves what he does and does not want to retire just yet (he's 57). He has to have something to do and I can see him continuing this, but less hours, in the next few years before transitioning into full retirement.

Off-hand, I can't think of many negatives about his working from home. He has an office area in the workshop, so he's able to have clients there if the need arises. Most times his business would have him meeting with a client at their place of business. The hardest for me is days when he might not get up before I leave, or have something planned that I'd like to take part in. LOL

To others here who have spouses that work from home, does it work well for you?

Comments (10)