SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macmex

AfricanX Okra, Trial

5 years ago

For the last four years I have trialed an experimental cross between two different species of okra. It's a cross between an African species (Abelmoschus caillei) and the more common Abelmoschus esculentus. This cross was made by Glen Hamner who lives in Panama. He sent seed to a couple of members of Green Country Seed Savers, right after he had made his first crosses, asking us to try it out in Oklahoma.

The first generation seed, I grew, differentiated quite a bit. I even had a single stalked, giant, with bright green leaves and pods. It only set pods just before frost. After selection we've ended up with these bushy plants which are green with a reddish tint to them.

This picture was taken in July.

Glen has chosen to name this variety AfricanX. WIth its Abelmoschus caillei genetics it displays a number of unique characteristics.

1) The leaves, stems and pods are spineless. A person can pick this okra without any protection and not itch.

2) It produces VERY late. It was the only okra I planted this year, and I would have suffered greatly if a friend hadn't given me okra from his garden. I planted on May 30, had first flower on July 30 and first picking 8/10. It didn't really kick into production until the middle of August.

3) It is more cold tolerant than most okra. Here it is, October 29, and I am STILL picking okra for supper! AfricanX won't stop producing until killed by frost. It was hit by frost about a week ago, but it has recovered and continues flowering.

4) Its pods are not as slimy as regular okra and they are thinner walled.

5) Flowers are larger and showy than regular okra, though they still hide in the foliage.

All in all, I am very pleased with it. Next year I will plant this AND a normal variety, so I can have a really long okra season. I believe this okra has a place in our country, even if it is late.

Right now I suspect people driving by my garden are wondering what that plant is. The leaves are glossy; plants are over 8' tall and probably 5' across.

Comments (15)