SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
asclepiad_fan

Experimenting with beach coarse sand: Dealing with salt...

asclepiad_fan
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Back a few months ago, I have read a discussion about adding crushed oyster shells to cacti potting soil. (Searched for the original thread but couldn't find it). Back then, I proposed the used of washed beach sand, though precautions should be taken to wash-away all salt residues.

I have been experimenting with the material for quite a while. For those interested to see the material itself, here is a picture...

For comparison:

Left: Coarse sand (Quartz sand), readily available for sand filters at swimming-pools equipment stores.

Right: The beach sand with oyster shells.

Composition: This is not actual "sand", but weathered sand stone particles. This type of stone is very common along beaches and is the primary constituent of the coarse sand. The particles are sand aggregates, and I have found them strong enough to prevent crumbling into fine sand grains. In comparison, the quartz sand is made-up of larger sand grains and is even less likely to crumble.

Precautions: There are two possible ways to deal with salts:

1- If the sand releases salts readily, a few days of soaking will ensure the salts will be depleted after subsequent water replacements.

2- If the sand releases salts slowly, the salt will be released slowly into the potting medium and is unlikely to build-up with proper irrigation and drainage.

Experimenting: Following the two scenarios, I decided to soak the sand for few days, and then use it in my potting mix. For comparison, I have almost as many pots with beach sand as those with Quartz sand. The reason I chose to use it is not the price. Although Quartz sand is much more expensive, the time and effort in gathering the sand, carrying it, washing and storing it outweighs the benefits of a cheaper alternative. This is an experiment which aims at understanding the physical properties of the sand, as well as the nutrient benefits of crushed oyster shells, especially in all what relates to trace elements and effect on pH levels.

Results: The coarse sand is used mainly for Haworthia, Gasteria and Aloe plants which are much pickier than cacti in what relates to grain size. Following successful cultivation with cacti, I decided to try it on the Aloaceae plant family. In a few cases, I had the familiar "I don't know why this plant turns brown" scenario. When comparing the two potting mediums (quartz and beach sand), both mediums had an equal "failure rate", which is low, by the way. So, the beach sand was NOT the culprit. Inspecting the roots has shown stressed roots, but no pest signs. I can notice the plant shrivels and it dislodged easily at the slightest touch. To my amazement, clones (cuttings) of the same plant may have a different fate even with the same potting medium. I have found that the rough-surfaced beach sand grains tend to hold slightly more water, but that's not a great deal. I will soon attempt the 10% perlite addition and see the results.

Issues and questions:

- What is that reason for unexplained stressed roots and shriveling? turning brown? I have found no change in success rate when I replaced the medium. The roots appear damaged by over-watering. The tell-tale sign: Dead hollow roots and the plant gives-out many roots in response, but these die as well and yield a dense bundle of dead hollow roots. I am using more unglazed clay pots and coarse medium, but I can still see that happening.

- It may be a long wait, but have any of you seen how many years it takes for the coarse beach grain to crumble? I'm speaking here in the range of 10 years or more.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting