SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ctchocula

Vintage 1920s kitchen challenge

Count Chocula
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi folks. This post is perhaps premature, as I'm not ready to remodel the kitchen anytime soon, but I've already begun thinking about it. This is a house in St. Paul, Minnesota that I'm in the process of buying. It's a 1925 American Foursquare that hasn't been wrecked with bad remodels. What a design challenge the kitchen is, though. To wit:

* Yes, the green color will be changed.

* The cabinets are site-built originals, but the counters are waaay too low. I would like to retain as much of the originals as possible in any remodel, although I will have to somehow have to raise the lower cabinet height and take out some of the lower section for sink and dishwasher.

* The layout is tight -- typical for that era, and I'm not looking to expand the kitchen by putting on an addition or taking out walls. I'm OK with tight. I just want to rework the layout.

* The sink and dishwasher are in an awkward, claustrophobic spot against the dining room wall. I'd like to relocate both to the window by the the original built-ins that faces the back yard. (The second-floor bathroom sink is directly above that location so the plumbing is likely there.)

* The cabinets currently above the sink are not originals and can go. That is a wall that some might suggest could be taken out to open access to the dining room (pictured), but I'd prefer to retain that wall because I like the woodwork on the dining room side.

* The refrigerator and stove (since replaced with the steel version) are marooned in no man's land with no cabinet infrastructure to embed them. That is a spot where additional cabinets could be added. Cabinets could also be added around the window adjacent to the refrigerator, but with the refrigerator there is no space.

* There is not much room for an island, but I think a smallish one could work.

* Back to the original cabinets: I could see raising them by removing the top-most section of the built-ins, raising the upper cabinets accordingly and than raising the lower cabinets. Perhaps the drawers that removed for the sink could be used horizontally to raise the counter. Or perhaps the top-most section of the built-ins could be relocated to raise the counter.

* Or is it too much work to retain these original cabinets?

Have at it!

Comments (106)