SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eld6161

Elizabeth Warren/Rachel Dolezal

eld6161
5 years ago

The topic of how one identifies themselves is fascinating to me.

Elizabeth Warren is from 1/64-1/1024 part Cherokee Indian. She identified herself as Cherokee in a 1984 cookbook. It has been reported that she has never gained anything in her professional or private life from sharing this information.

Elizabeth Warren has said that her mother passed along stories of the Indian heritage.

What fascinates me here is that she has such a strong connection to such a very small part of her background. She did not grow up with any Native American Indians relatives. She has said that she is proud of this part of her heritage. Okay.....

Next up, Rachel Dolezal. With no black heritage at all, she identified as black and lived as a black woman until getting caught. She was an instructor of Africana Studies at Eastern Washington University and a president of the Spokane NAACP.

I am trying to wrap my head around how one identifies with an entirely different race. She actually thought that by identifying as Black, she could actually BE that race. And, she lived this life for years.

What are your thoughts on these two women?

Comment