SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adrianne_beasley

Painting our new house - All one color or a multi-color palette?

Adrianne Beasley
5 years ago

Just moved into our new house (2-story traditional with light brick exterior with 9' ceilings). The architecture has a transitional style, with some open space (dining room has huge cased openings into foyer and living room), but other rooms like the keeping room have pocket doors to close it off if we wanted. There is also big chunky traditional moldings and wainscoting, which we plan to leave white. The seller painted the entire house up and down with SW Accessible Beige, which I like a lot but it looks too greyed out with our newly refinished light grey-brown floors.

We have a neutral style and definitely lovers of grey, but I don't want the house to look too cold or boring. With the semi open concept I think we could go either way with one color or with a 3 color palette.

Photos attached show the new floor color (which looks brown in some lights and grey in others and I love), along with our chandeliers and basic furniture (dining chairs and rugs won't go down for another week to give the floors some additional hardening time). We will slowly be de-brassing the house of all it's 90's bright brass hardware which for now really looks bad with the floors. Also will be re-tiling the fire place surround with a lighter gray and white tile.

I have looked at SW Sea Salt and SW Alabaster for our neutral choice(s) and SW Storm Cloud or SW Distance for the rooms where we want to add some deeper blues.

What's the opinions - keep it neutral with all one color or make a bolder choice with several different colors that flow well together?

Comment (1)