SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ravencajun

Close call dishwasher disaster

Yesterday we had a close call. My dishwasher went crazy and nearly burned the house down. I have no idea what happened. I smelled something burning like wires or plastic. I put my hand on the countertop over the dishwasher and it was blazing hot. I don't know how my countertop didn't crack. The door to the dishwasher was so hot it burned my hand when I tried to open it. Use my oven gloves to open it. Everything inside was melted. Including the sprinkler arms that spray the water. It is stainless steel interior but any of the plastic pieces were melted. My tall acrylic tumblers are now shrunk to juice glass size. My pie cutter looks like a leaf now.
We are just extremely fortunate that we were here and able to turn it off. Because I feel like it definitely could have caught my wood cabinet surrounding it on fire. This has made me think I don't think I will ever leave the house with a dishwasher on or set it up to run during the night. This is a fairly new Ge Profile dishwasher but it came with the new house so I don't have any paperwork on it. So I guess I will be shopping for a new dishwasher. I want a kitchenaid just like the one I had in my other house.
I don't know what to think about rabbit rabbit! We did it for the first time ever and this does not seem like good luck. But we were lucky not to have a fire lol.

Comments (52)