SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
captain37

Cost of adding a second layer of brick on a retaining wall?

captain37
5 years ago

Hello! I hired a landscaper to build a retaining wall in the front of my house. The wall is mainly for design as there isn't much slope to my yard. In the quote he estimated doing one layer with a 6" block and a 3" capstone. He had estimated the elevation change in the yard was only 1". After starting the job & digging the trench for the wall he measured and it was actually a 6" elevation change. He & his forman discussed the issue (without consulting me) and decided to continue only doing one layer of brick and sloping the wall down over the yard. I had discussed with the foreman my concerns that I wanted the wall to be level and I had said I would pay for any additional brick needed to do that, he estimated it would be $300-$400. They went ahead with adding a step up in the wall & the additional brick. At no time did the owner contact me with exact pricing or an updated quote. I received the invoice after the job was complete and he is now charging $1,500 for the change. I feel this amount is ridiculous because there wasn't a lot of additional work needed to add that step up, all they had to do is place the bricks on the already leveled 1st layer. I would like opinions? Am I wrong thinking if it was going to be so much money he should have given an updated quote? Was it his error because he misjudged the elevation change? Just want to get others thoughts? Thanks!

Comment (1)