SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dmarie979

Kitchen layout and appliance advice needed.

Debbie M
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We are doing a complete kitchen gut and I'm struggling with the appliances. We come from large families and I love to cook so I had my heart set on more than one oven. Initially I thought I wanted a 48" range, but they are out of the budget. We love the current design, which doesn't allow space for dual wall ovens. The designer has played with the placement of two single ovens, but I didn't love any of her suggestions. This is where I'm at, which is a WWYD:

Option A: a 36" range plus a microwave/convection combo unit

Option B: Option A plus a warming drawer (I'd love to hear from anyone who has one and whether or not they think it's worth it)

Option C: a 36" range plus a single wall oven (although not sure where I'd put that single oven)

Option D: a 36" cooktop, a single wall oven underneath plus another single oven under (again, not sure where I'd put the random oven)

Option E: anything that I didn't list above that you think would be a better suggestion

If we add in a single wall oven, I was considering the island, close to the fridge. I'd love to hear from anyone who has a set up like that and whether or not they like it. One of the designer's suggestions was single ovens side by side in the island, which I nixed as I see the island as being a primary prep space and I didn't think it'd be comfortable to stand there with oven handles jamming in to my legs.

Design below. The current appliance placement are marked (F = Fridge, M = Microwave, D = dishwasher, C/R = cooktop or range). From the fridge to the opposite wall is about 18 feet. Please note, the island configuration has changed a bit. It's now more of a T shape with the workspace a bit bigger and the eating area more narrow. I believe the top of the T is between 6-7 feet long now.

Edited to add: I don't want a microwave drawer in the island as I'm 5'9 and I don't want to be bending down constantly to look in the microwave. I definitely want a microwave more chest/eye level. I also don't want a 30" range with two ovens as I had one previously and didn't feel it worked well.

Comments (14)