SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pup0975

Zoysia with lots of dead grass blades in the winter and spring

5 years ago

I have a 2 year old zoysia (Z52) yard that for the last 2 winters, the grass ends up having lots of dead blades such that when ever you walk across the yard, there's usually a bunch of blades stuck to your shoe. When the spring comes, the grass has issues coming up in most places of the yard. I have had to dethatch the yard in these places because there is a noticeable pile of dead blades covering the ground. Once I dethatch these spots, the grass starts to grow. Each year, by about June, the grass looks perfect. However, the process of dethatching the yard is exhausting and not sure why I have to do it each spring. My neighbor also has Z52, and his grass doesn't have these issues. I core aerated this spring hoping this would help. I also cut my grass to 2.5" this season vs 3" the last 2 years. We had an awful drought the first fall of when the sod was put in which I thought was the main reason the grass looked awful during the 1st full spring. However, last year, we had a very wet fall and had the same issue. This year, it has been pretty normal rain conditions. We use a lawn service to do our fertilization. I usually stop watering the grass at the end of October/early November. I live in Alabama.

Just wondering if there is something I am doing or should do this fall to prevent this from happening again.

Comments (2)