SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thecohens

Have a 36" or Bigger Sink - How Do you Use it? (ex: Galley, Stage)

thecohens
5 years ago

I'd love to have a prep and cleanup sink, but it just won't fit in our townhouse from the 1800's. Because of our layout, the sink will have to go in the island.

I have this layout now, and here's why I hate it. 1) The dish drying rack is so prominent. (I feel like it would look better on the kitchen wall, not island.) 2) My 25" sink is always full of dirty dishes, so when I'm prepping for dinner, I'm doing so above a pile of dirty dishes. I'm wondering if a large sink, like the Galley or Kohler Stages might fix this.

For those of you with extra-large sinks:

• Do you use the sink for prep and cleanup?
  • If yes, is there enough room to do prep even with a sink of dirty dishes? Do you just shove the dirty dishes over or do you have a divider to separate the sink into a cleanup and prep zone?
  • Finally, I know this may be pushing it, but can you even use a big sink as a drying rack (so it's not on the counter)? I'm thinking that after I put all the dishes the dishwasher, I can clean out the sink, do the hand-wash only items like knives and pots, then use the sink as a drying rack. Is that too ambitious?

Oh, and aesthetically, I can only fit the 36" wide. If I'm being delusional asking three things of one sink (prep, cleanup, AND drying rack), I'd rather know now than later. :)

Comments (22)