SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
persimmonbob

Say hello to summmmmer.

Monyet
5 years ago

You have enjoyed your summer, i hope it has been to your liking. Has hard work paid-off for you?

Comments (73)

• Monyet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Vetch, that is not a rosemary bush but a Japanese Yew. About 9 years old. A lady asked me some time ago saying that see has never seen a rosemary plant that big.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    5 years ago

Funny Bob, but they can grow that big. I know I have seen some pictures and youtube videos of people chopping them back. I think this was one of the videos where I first saw how large they can get and how to prune something like that -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTv8Gb8WvH4

• Related Discussions

Considering a Generac portable generator? Say hello for me!

Q

Comments (17)
    If your still having problems with it now, you should take it back to Home Depot. I think I would have taken it back the first day. I hope you registered a warranty. If not sorry. Wish I could of made it to this thread a little bit earlier to through some advice about these generators, and how much of a pain they can be. Here's some advice to the newbies. If your thinking about getting a portable generator, go check out the Yamaha brand. They're the most reliable dealer of generators on the market. The only one that even comes close is the Honda, but Yamaha very well outweighs. It's features doesn't compare to other brands, and the price is always affordable. More info on Yamaha generators here. Here is a link that might be useful: Yamaha Generators
    ...See More

New Hoya lover saying hello!

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks! It's about time to repot the new cuttings into bigger pots and bring everything in for the winter. Not looking forward to that but it has to be done!
    ...See More

Arthur Daryl says hello

Q

Comments (1)
    Bea, here is an old pic. Sadly the collection has declined
    ...See More

Saying goodbye to some, hello to others

Q

Comments (15)
    Megillah looks really good as does F. Garrett Mason. Cradle of Bethlehem does strongly resemble Laura Harwood. Sherry Laura has the dratted Canoe petals at the very fist here and they if blooms properly in all its loveliness and for quite a while. Kate, I also like Bouncing Gazelle. As for Lantana. Not only do they winter over here, but they can be somewhat invasive as well. I have grwn them, but not now. And this week's heat is more than necessary for sure. kay
    ...See More
  • Monyet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jenny, learn something new, thanks.Neighbors always think it is a rosemary when they stop by.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    5 years ago

Ha! I bet if they take a whiff of that they will discover that a yew smells nothing like a rosemary. lol

• PRO
    Home
    5 years ago

Bob I just hope no one swiped a few sprigs of the yew bush for cooking thinking it was rosemary lol

For you all loving plumerias, I found some old photos of the plumeria I loved seeing in Taiwan. I have some more photos on my external harddrive but I’ll need to dig through it another time to find more photos. The pics below were found in my phone

^The white/yellow plumeria I talked about. Photo taken in 2016

^Photo taken in 2014, I completely forgot that I saw this one first! I didn’t see one with the same coloring during my 2016 trip so I must’ve forgotten about it with time. This pink edged white/yellow one was definitely the one that started making me notice plumerias.

I think I’m gonna have plumerias hopping into my cart the next time I shop ebay.

• myermike_1micha
    5 years ago

Kvetch, stay away from E-bay.lol You'll be broke very fast!!

I too love to keep happy. I tried them for years to no avail. Now if those are the only plants I owned, then I would probably do well since they would be the only plants I spray for mites and I would keep them growing all winter. But I was never good at keeping them warm enough not to desiccate and and too cool to rot. if I wanted to hold them in dormant stage in my basement. I love them too.

Sunshine, thank you!

Jenny, good growing as always. Wow.

• PRO
    Home
    5 years ago

Mike, I haven’t done research on how to care and grow them yet so I won’t be tempted just yet. But I know what you mean about going broke on ebay lol. There are tons of fig cuttings being listed now that it’s getting cold and they’re hard to pass up!

• Monyet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Could not pass-up this combo, they don't look like flowers but they look alright to me.

When fishing an hour ago, got more.Have a fish fry soon.

• Monyet
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Had to stop ,pull one up every 2 minutes, there are 10 in there. What is so beautiful when you can see the fishbeds that I made in such clear water and the fish swimming all around. Nothing like it. Just like a under water garden.

Laura, a couple of years ago, two women happen to stop by to look at my fruit trees, guess what they came back yesterday with their parents, that were visiting. They all took the tour, eat some mandarins and persimmons. She expresses interest in that kumquat that I want to get rid of and also a couple of small fig trees and two mandarin trees. She told me that she be back with a truck.

• myermike_1micha
    5 years ago

Bob, where is the fish in what lake? So nice . You must of loved it@!

• Monyet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I live on Beaverlake, AR. Mike, living there is the berries. Surrounding area is called Little Switzerland. Save money and see me, don’t need to go to Costarica.

went to my doctor this morning, got a excellent report. Next visit May. Anyway he is coming over this Saturday to fish. He fished here before. He usely comes over by boat.

• myermike_1micha
    5 years ago

Bob, that's amazing. I actually googled that area and you are right, so nice there. I have not gone fishing since I was a kid. I miss that. When I saw those fish you caught was taken back. Such a pleasure to go do that and it's doable for me to visit. I would love too. You can take me some day))

What a great relationship to have with your Doctor. That is just cool. Can't say I blame him for wanting to spend time with a good man and time there. Funny, I just went to mine today. Lot's of blood work and a clean bill of health, thank God..0)

• PRO
    Home
    5 years ago

The fish bed sounds beautiful! You made it yourself? Hope to see photos of it some time! Your area sounds amazing too and to think it’s hidden in the state of Arkansas.

So crazy those two ladies never stopped thinking about your fruit trees bob. I hope she enjoys the kumquats and shares the citrus growing bug with her family and friends :D

• Monyet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Somebody ask me about the rose i am growing.

• nanzjade z5 MA
    5 years ago

Bob, that for sure is a very pretty rose! I love the large size blossoms it has too. How long have you had this rose? Will it be going in the ground? Anything else interesting you have to tell about it?

Also, the fresh fish look amazing! Nothing better than that. That's so neat that your doctor arrives via pontoon. I haven't fished since I was a kid, just remember trying to hold a small fish in my hands and how shocked I was when it jumped back into the water. Then I got into crabbing to pass the time at the dock.

-Nancy

• Monyet
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    • Some time ago i posted an article about figs and how i grow them and also how i take care of them in the winter. Picture shows tree,s on the small trailer ready to go in the garage for the winter, it also shows how the dolly is at the same height, so sliding from one to another is a piece of cake. You also see the 2 inches or so of mulch line for the roots to enter in the soil. The tree depend more from those roots in the soil than watering the usual way.

Took of all the leaves, so i can bring them in the garage, don't like messy floors. Nine more to go.

• Monyet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That rose is a strong grower and stays in bloom even today and for the next 10 days.It is the pride of all the plants we have. I might put the plant in the yard, maybe. The flowers smell so good, hot strong coffee in the morning!! Bought it this past spring. It looks so good on the deck. That pontoon is ours, we usely have the grand kids and what not for the summer. I don’t fish during the summer months, water is too warm.

Our doctor has a fancier rig.

• PRO
    Home
    5 years ago

Beautiful rose on the photo. It must look spectacular up close! And you say it has a hot strong coffee smell in the morning? Lol a coffee smelling rose would be fun.

Thanks for showing us your figs and the dolly! I’ll make it a note to mulch my future fig trees at least 2 inches during the summer. I hear they can drain those pots dry daily

• Monyet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My doctor show-up with the County Commissioner and went fishing, they came by bassboat and fish of the dock, they then continue fishing after they took a grand tour through my place and were amazed with what they saw. They took a bag full of fruit, manderins, asian persimmon, Jabo's, lemons, tomato's and a container with Lemongrass.Got this thing in the boat.

This doctor does't drink alcohol but mix lemongrass, ginger and a couple other things, that's what he drinks when he goes to the islands on vacation.

The commissioner told me when they left, that if i have a run-in with the law to see me and we will trade for some more manderins. Killer morning, then mail came and brought me more tree's and plants today.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    5 years ago

Good to have the law on your side Bob ;)

• Monyet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The doctor is more important,it’s just funny to see them as normal everyday people.

• PRO
    Home
    5 years ago

What a blast, a new friend and new plants!

• Monyet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Can you tell, winter is coming?

The red leave tree's are Dogwoods and the yellow ones are asian persimmons. Goes all the to the waterline.

• jinnylea
    5 years ago

Wow! Stunning autumn landscape picture! You are so blessed to be surrounded in nature by such beauty! ♡ I got a kick out of your friends in their bass boat with that large pot of lemon grass in the tail end of the boat. You are a generous friend, Bob. :)

Bob, what new plants and trees did you get in the mail to add to your collection, if you don't mind me asking? I have one last citrus tree coming next week and that is pushing it for my zone this year and it will be the last order until spring 2019. Lol

• Monyet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My wife bought 4 flowering plants, perennials and i got 3 Pandan plants and a Avocado.

Since i spend several years in the Far-East, there they use Pandan in their cooking and i thought i try it myself, will see. I want to be a culinary expert, i think i can do it in 3 weeks, maybe 4.

I should get a rise out of Laura.

• Monyet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I only have 3 seasons, so i still have a little summer. My persimmons are now next to show their stuff. My wife and friends are usely waiting for this time.

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
    5 years ago

Those persimmons look yummy, Bob!

• jinnylea
    5 years ago

Agree with sunshine! The persimmons look yummy, Bob.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    5 years ago

Bob You are the persimmon king

• Monyet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That is a great honor coming from you, Steve. Did not expect that.

• myermike_1micha
    5 years ago

Looks like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree Bob! Ha. I love the balls dangling from it, very decorative and yet I bet delicious!!

• nanzjade z5 MA
    5 years ago

Bob- Ohh how neat! Are they Fuyu and Hachiya? I just had a Fuyu the other day, was happy to see them at the local grocery store (at $2 each) it sure was a special treat! I was youtubing persimmons before cutting into it to be sure it was ready to eat, and watched a video about how they let the astringent persimmons get hit by the first frost so they will be sweeter. How do you and your friends enjoy them? Just eat as is or any favorite recipes/dishes? I imagine the fruit would be good as a jam, or even in a salad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo4zr8pnj_w

• PRO
    Home
    5 years ago

Bob - seeing your tree, I need to research more about persimmons asap lol. They look so healthy hanging on your tree. Are they one of those fruits less affected by disease and bugs? They look as pretty as the ones found at the grocery

Nanzjade - I usually like to cut them in half and eat it with a spoon :) the skin is pretty tough so it makes the scooping very easy if the persimmon is super soft

• nanzjade z5 MA
    5 years ago
    Thanks Kvetchlambkin, I will try cutting it that way. I found some at the store. :) I also got this tropical spiked fruit and I forgot its name. Anyone know? Tia.
  • Monyet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

When you grow your own persimmon it's not any different than citrus. For me persimmons are much, much easier to grow and therefor more rewarding. I don't grow the stuff that you find in the store. I use to grow 14 different varieties, now only 4 or 5, you only grow the best, just like citrus. I might have 30 or so tree's, don't count them anymore. If you ever need sionwood give a shout. Got a Spanish one that you might be interested in. I only pick tree ripened fruits. Store bought persimmon are disgusting.

This is what a ripe persimmon looks like.

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
    5 years ago

Nanzjade, I think it's called kiwano melon.

• nanzjade z5 MA
    5 years ago

Bob, thanks for the offer, that is very kind of you! I'll keep that in mind for the Spring. Only problem is I don't know how to graft and clueless about the root stock needed. I may be better off buying ready to plant young trees, do you have names for your favorites? I really love persimmons, the best tasting one I had a few years ago brought home from Logee's greenhouses, just looked on their website for it and their Fuyu is for zone 8+, darn it!

Do you have any insight on Persimmon ‘Nikita’s Gift’™ (Diospyros virginiana x kaki)?? It says its self fertile, so I'd only need one tree instead of two and okay for zone 5.

https://www.logees.com/persimmon-nikita-s-gift-tm-diospyros-virginiana-x-kaki.html

---

Thanks, Sunshine! Right on! Looks like a very seedy plant, well... figured might as well try it once. I think it needs to ripen a couple days before its ready to eat.

• Monyet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

If you live in z5 or z6 I would not even try oriental persimmons, I would go with Russian or native Americans. The native ones have come a long way, There are some really good ones but most are a little smaller and have seeds. The problem with hybrid native ones they tend to grow big if left alone. People with good size greenhouses different story.

Nikita and Rossianka are seedless that would be OK.

Edible LANDSCAPING in Virginia has a decent selection. Mike is a decent guy, bought stuff from him many many years ago.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    5 years ago

I have a wild American persimmon about 8 feet tall. Do not eat before ripe. Really ripe.

Steve

• Monyet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I can change that Steve. I got that magic wand. This is what your new tree should look like.

It is a non-astringent kind , you eat it like an apple, no pucker power. Tree might be 4 years old, this is the 3th year it produces.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    5 years ago

Bob Is that tree from seed. It looks great.

• Monyet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Steve you should know by now that I don’t use any seedling other than using it for rootstock after it has grown for one or two years, depending how you grow your rootstock. If you push your rootstock you can graft it the following spring. My Age has a lot to do, i am shooting for really short term gratification.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    5 years ago

Bob I should have known. Because I do every thing (Kumqats) from seed I forget that others get grafted (not kumquats) citrus trees so they produce sooner..

Steve

• PRO
    Home
    5 years ago

I’ve only had oriental persimmons, I didn’t know there are Spanish cultivars! It’s so great to have a resident persimmon expert and enthusiast on the forum bob! Not many people know about persimmons (non-gardeners and younger generations). Back in undergrad I brought some persimmons back with me from home and showed it to my suitemates. They thought it looked like a tomato and said it tasted like a sweet potato. They were hella perplexed by its existence :’D ah it was great

I got carried away with fig fever this season so I’ll need to grow them out before culling and making space for future persimmons. Thank you bob, you are so generous with us here. I want to do the same and share with others whenever I can once I’ve grown out my fruits and plants

• Monyet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Workshop filled to the brim with stuff, garage filled to the brim with stuff. First thing next year find a source to dump some tree's big time. Top picture is a month old, there are more tree's added since, much more.

• PRO
    Home
    5 years ago

I think the majority of us are more than happy to be your landfill :)

• nanzjade z5 MA
    5 years ago

Bob, thanks for the insight on the persimmons, I made a note of it. Your persimmons tree is so beautiful! Wow-wee look at all those trees.... amazing!

• Monyet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Had to work my tush of today, hard freeze coming, had to pick the remaining fruits, 7 6gl containers. All done.

Nature at work,