SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_878246847

Scales on Houseplants - Finally, a Solution That Works

HU-878246847
5 years ago

I struggled with scales on many of my plants over the years after I brought in a oleander plant over the winter. I finally found something that works and knowing the frustration of scales, I wanted to share it.

I was going camping and picked up some Insect Treatment for Gear and Clothing by Coleman. I noted that the active ingredient was our old friend Permethrin. However, it isn't the kid stuff - it has a concentration of .5%, higher than regular houseplant sprays.

After treating weekly for about a month, I finally ended the sticky spots and scale markings. It's been over a year and no return!

Yes, the product is not designed for this, but I was desperate to save some plants that were 10-15 years old and nearly as tall as me. Used with decent ventilation, this unscented spray foamed onto the leaves and seemed to coat them very well. I used on plants such as schefflera, spider plant, dracena, pothos, and ficus without any impact to the leaves or the health of the plant.

My problem has been solved for over a year without the need for retreatment! I thought this might be useful for others who are desperate not to lose their plants to a sticky mess.

Comments (2)