SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
legray_gw

safer, scale, a new meyer lemon, and cats.

legray
18 years ago

Hello, this is my first time posting here. I got a improved dwarf meyer lemon tree for my birthday this year. When I got it, it was already a little sickly, but improving (if you know what I mean). The lady at the shop told me that when she got it, it was so sick she thought it'd die. She hacked it back and it had been growing ever since. She didn't treat it with anything, and didn't tell me if it had pests or not. She did put it outside and water it occasionally.

Well, we had lots of sun this summer, so the thing (it's about a 3 year tree), literally has more blossoms than leaves. I took it home, put it on its special table, with its special lights, and proceeded to enjoy its recovery.

Each blossom opened, and my entire house smells gorgeous. However, I did notice that it did have pests from its summer outdoors. It had spider mites and scale. The spidermites seem to be under control, simply by me spraying the tree down in the shower, however I'm having a tougher time of the scale.

My problem is, I have two cats. They occasionally nibble on the lower branches (a habit I'm trying to break them of), and I don't want to put something on the tree that'll endanger them. I do have Safer Houseplant Insecticidal Soap, which I haven't used in almost a year on a plant which the cats didn't have access to. Now, I'm fairly sure that Safer isn't.. er, safe, while it's wet, but I've heard that it's OK when it's dry?

Are there any other solutions that'll kill off scale and leave a cat alive? Apart from hand picking the little beasties and squashing them in hand - an option which makes me squemish.

The plant itself is at once better and worse than before. All the many, many, many, many blossoms are opening and dying off, it's growing new leaf sets, and even setting new blossoms. He's growing amazingly fast, actually. However, some of the new leaf sets are dying before they mature, and some of the older ones are dying off. I expected some of the older foliage to die off, even with two grow lights on him at close range, I can't imagine he's getting the same sun indoors as he was out in the summer.

Aside from all that, my tree is living the life. I put in grow lights for it, I run my humidifier for it daily, and I swore I'd never get a plant that'd require either. Ever have one of those fussy little plants that just makes you insanely happy? That's my tree.

Comments (13)