SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cwachendo

Building a home, and struggling with the exterior design

cwachendo
5 years ago

We are building a home, and everything is picked, and construction starts TODAY - but I am really struggling with the exterior style and color. I have always been drawn to the modern farm house look. Everything inside the home is unique. Here is our rendering, which does encompass some things I like, but I feel like we are missing something. The dark grey accents are steel... would it be beneficial switching some direction of siding for the white? am I over thinking this? Please help!

Comments (74)

• User
    5 years ago

I would change the colour of the garage doors, get rid of the steel, focus on landscaping to add more. I think a simple house is beautiful. But you can see that already from our very basic house design. :)

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

Just looking for advice to spice it up, everyone

Again, you want unique, classic, and spicy, but some of these are mutually exclusive, at least with respect to your house.

Here are some blog posts from designer and consultant, Maria Killam, that are well worth reading:

http://www.mariakillam.com/boringequalstimeless/

http://www.mariakillam.com/design-stone-exterior/

and focus on these parts:

simple and "boring" = classic and timeless, and also,

"Builders and buyers seem to be convinced that when it comes to exterior colours and claddings, more is more. And that’s too bad, because if you want to create a classic exterior, simplicity is key.

"Just like any design project nowadays, the options are endless, and it’s really hard to pick just one. So in an effort to be “interesting”, the general consensus seems to be, why not pick three? Or more?

"JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE OPTIONS, DOESN’T MEAN YOU SHOULD INDULGE"

• Related Discussions

New home design: build the woodshop or buy a prefab metal build

Q

Comments (13)
    If you google "pole buildings" or "pole barns" and "stick built" garages/shops/buildings/etc., you'll find threads on other forums on this topic. We haven't built our shop yet, but I have researched it over the last couple years. For me, I found companies that specialize in this at our local home & garden expo, via word of mouth, on craigslist under services and on my county's permit web site. My county gives all the information on what permits were applied for and what company is doing the work; it basically gave me a list of who was building the shops locally and how much they are valued at.. I've done lots of driving around to look at the work done and see if it is what I'm after.... Since we plan on finishing our shop to match our house and insulating it, a pole building vs. stick-built building is around the same price. There is no point, for us, to pursue a pole building because of it. If you don't want to insulate and don't need to match finishes (on all sides,) a pole building will likely cost much less.
    ...See More

STRUGGLING to build an affordable, energy efficient house

Q

Comments (12)
    I always enjoy threads dealing with energy-efficient homes, as our plan is to, within the next few years, build a home that is as energy-efficient as possible. Like teresa b (above) originally considered, we have thought about an ICF home and geothermal. The ICF concept is still almost unknown in our area. A few years ago, we attended a home show, and not only was ICF not represented, no one with whom we spoke knew what we were talking about. Fortunately, I have located a builder in the area who has some experience with the Logix ICF system, so I hope to speak with him in the future. Another interesting thing -- at a party last night, I spoke with a guy who has one of those Hardy (brand) woodburning furnaces, the type that is located outside the home, with underground lines connecting it to a heat exchanger located in the standard heating system. It also preheats water going into the water heater, to save on water heating costs. Something else I will consider!
    ...See More

When building a new home .. when do you hire a designer??

Q

Comments (11)
    I have built 2 houses. One with a little designer help, and one without any designer help. We have "mistakes" in our first house that we are now correcting before we sell it. A designer could have helped us avoid those and I am sure we would have had a better laid out basement plan! (it is pretty bad.) Whenever I have had a designer, they have usually saved me money by choosing a cheaper option, using things I already had, or avoided mistakes. We had a little designer help on the 2nd (vacaton) home. The things she picked out were great. Again, we made a couple changes on the plans, this time (our 2nd house) the changes we made were better, but I think the designer could have really helped make those changes great! To save money on the designer, I usually do a lot of thinking and leg work before I meet with her. I collect fabrics from Joanns (cheaper) bring tile from big box store, or tile store, I just try to be ready knowing what I want and avoid more hourly fees due to my indecisiveness or trips to stores. So I say go with the designer, but know what you want, and choose carefully. Ask the hourly fee or fee per job. Check a few and talk to happy customers. And make sure she knows your budget. I am OK if some things come from Joanns, big box stores, etc. My designer was too. Another designer I worked with couldn't use cheaper things, so I won't use her again. Make sure you and the designer are on the same page. And have fun!
    ...See More

Help picking color/colors for the exterior of new home build

Q

Comments (1)
    My deepest sympathy on the loss of your son. You will get more help if you post your question in the Home Decorating part of this forum. It's more active than this one and there are lots of talented people who have good ideas re color choice - both exterior and interior.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

There are a number of architectural modifications which could be made which would improve the front facade of your house. For example, lower and reconfigure the roof over the garage. Ganging the second floor windows closely together, much as suggested in PPF's computer rendering, and a horizontal trim piece would enhance the architectural character.

But simply adding paint and a pleothra of exterior materials to the house will not be much help at all.

• User
    5 years ago
    Virgil that’s not true. Adding paint and landscaping will help and is the scope of what the poster asked for. She clearly said ove design isn’t changing.
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Yes, of course, Alison. You frequently disagree. But what I said is a simple fact: there are architectural changes which could help. Adding more lipstick and mascara doesn't help the fundamental problem. The issues with her design are not simply cosmetic. I'm trying to suggest to the OP that she is looking at the wrong strategies, but there are other effective strategies to consider which will make a difference. You and I will simply have to agree to disagree.

• User
    5 years ago
    But if someone doesn’t want to make architectural changes does that mean they can’t get other advice or hear other options? Sometimes lipstick and mascara is all someone wants and they should still be able to get that here too.
    5 years ago

But if someone doesn’t want to make architectural changes does that mean they can’t get other advice or hear other options?

What? There's all sorts of advice, with a variety of options, in this thread.

If I were at the beginning rather than at the end of this process (heaven help me), and I didn't know what I didn't know, I would be delighted for the various suggestions and links. Especially if it saved me the cost of lipstick for the pig.

• User
    5 years ago
    Becky yes this post has tons of great advice. But if the OP says they just want simple exterior ideas I can reply to her and suggest colour and landscaping as options that are within the scope of what was asked for. Some people want to keep what they have and make minor changes was my point and that’s okay and can still improve a house. Of course if OP had wanted feedback on design in general and on making major changes then they could also take all the other advice but since she indicated that wasn’t what she wanted why not provide the lipstick and mascara options of colour and landscaping?
    5 years ago

Alison, OP wrote, "I am really struggling with the exterior style and color. I have always been drawn to the modern farm house look." Others here are making suggestions to help with that struggle and to help the OP achieve her much-desired modern farmhouse look.

I can't see where OP mentioned anything about landscaping. And that can be very expensive "solution" to this sort of problem, even more so when it's ineffective at achieving the desired look.

• User
    5 years ago
    Fair enough about landscaping, I said I would keep house simple and focus on landscaping and paint in reply “just looking for advice to spice it up, everyone, not looking for opinions on what it already is :)”. I inferred that to mean she wasn’t interested in structural/major changes and liked the house shape as it is so was providing non structural/major house ideas. That’s all.
  • User
    5 years ago
    And I never said giving advice to help with making it more modern farmhouse or whatever it is was bad. I simply disagree with Virgil that paint and landscaping wouldn’t help. They definitely won’t hinder and if someone didn’t want to change their house much could make a huge impact.
  • indigoheaven
    5 years ago
    Alison, I might suggest that you step back and let the OP speak herself. She has a voice and can respond to others herself. It's not necessary or helpful to the flow of the conversation for you to step in and define the parameters based on your interpretation of the OP's situation.
  • User
    5 years ago
    Indigoheaven I’m standing up for my reply. OP is welcome to stand up for themselves. My reply is still valid that if one wants to “spruce up” what there is paint and landscaping could support that.
    5 years ago

I simply disagree with Virgil that paint and landscaping wouldn’t help. They definitely won’t hinder and if someone didn’t want to change their house much could make a huge impact.

One of the benefits of the OP posting today, the very day that construction has started, is that there is actually a last-minute opportunity here to make a long-lasting, and in the long run likely ultimately more satisfying and cheaper, change to achieve the OP's desired look. That's all. By the time you get done building a structure that doesn't look anything at all like the modern farmhouse style, you are basically putting lipstick, and/or mascara, on a pig. Yet if all the basic elements of that desired style aren't right, no amount of lipstick, mascara, landscaping, or paint, is going to disguise or change it.

Unfortunately, I have to get off this merry-go-round shortly and attend to real life livestock : ) . Good luck to the OP!

• cwachendo
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Well, this escalated quickly.

Our home is garage heavy, and I understand that. I did take GPPs advice and moved the garage doors in the same plain.

I agree, I was trying too many things instead of looking to simplify everything.

Lots of good advice given.

Alison, I especially appreciate you and everything you mentioned to help me. Thank you!
  • cwachendo
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I should add, the original photo angle is a bit wonky and makes our house look a bit more awkward than it actually is.

Curious. For the upstairs windows, there are two bedrooms there, each needs a window. This has always looked awkward to me... what suggestions to change it to simplify do you all suggest?
  • PRO
    PPF.
    5 years ago

Except for the third garage bay, this looks like a house built in 1970, then remodeled in a effort to make it look more up to date. Choosing parts of different styles that do not work together, then forcing them on a house that does not want them.

The upper floor -- the part above the porch, overwhelms the front of the house, and the windows being offset to the left do not help.

The windows are not consistent with the overall look, looking instead like a misguided attempt at contemporary design.

You mentioned modern farmhouse, and as Halloween approaches, I'll suggest putting on a superman costume does not make you superman, just like wrapping a house in white board and batten siding does not make it a modern farmhouse.

What I'm suggesting is the house lacks an identity, instead looking more like it was designed by a committee where everyone wanted something different.

I'd make a suggestion or 2, but I'm not sure which direction to go.

Maybe you could reach out to a designer who could help you focus on a specific style/look, and could then suggest ways to apply it to your house.

• whaas_5a
    5 years ago

placement of windows along with the shape of Windows is much more jarring than the garage

Hopefully you’ll get some suggestions and are able to change it as I think you will really regret it in the long run

• PRO
    Springtime Builders
    5 years ago

I'm afraid garage heavy is a bit of an understatement. If structural decisions are still in flux, add vote for bigger picture reassessment.

• Oliviag
    5 years ago
    pretty sure you said construction started today.
    that means, plans filed and approved, foundations being formed as we type.
    not a good time for asking for design help.
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

As in many of these posts the first thing that comes to mind is, "Who did this to you?" and "Don't you have a close enough friend that will tell you that you are making a mistake?"

• cpartist
    5 years ago

Is this house being built on a narrow lot?

• cwachendo
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    PPF, id appreciate your suggestions on how to change those two top windows to make flow better. Those have always been a point of contention.
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

The three car front facing garage is the 'elephant in the room', the windows are minute details. The best advice here is the first comment.

• cwachendo
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for your opinion, but it is not what I was asking.
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

One of the things you still have time to do is to change the roof framing over the garage. It is huge, in reality, and, as designed, it will be an overbearing image to all who approach the house from the front. It's an easy change to simply lower the ridge line, by either reduing the pitch or changing the roof style entirely. Neitther option will affect the current construction schedule.

You should be aware that with the current design, and given site work construction tolerances and workmanship errors, it may be easy for the current ridge line to exceed the height of the second floor fascia and terminate against the second floor roof line, instead of terminating just below the second floor fascia as illustrated.

That's how big the current garage roof design actually is. Reducing the height of the garage roof may be the single most significant and postive change which can be made at this point.

• homechef59
    5 years ago

You want advice on exterior design. You lost the argument about front loading garage. You didn't tell us the general location and size of the lot/land. These issues are vital to effectively advising you.

Ranch and modern farmhouse are contradictions in terms. Because this is a two-story home, it is by definition not a ranch or rambler. Nor, is it farmhouse. This is a modern of the type that you see west of the Mississippi.

My suggestion is monotone. One color, preferably light. One material, probably stucco. Don't even try to go towards a "farmhouse" vibe. Keeping the exterior very simple is the best direction. In the end, you are going to have a garage house. Pushing the third bay back doesn't help in this instance. I'd save some framing money and keep the three bays on the same plain. The roof is going to be a problem if it ever rains or snows where you are located.

• cwachendo
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Totally agree and did that change already! Thanks!

I truly wish we were able to hide the garage more but with the shape of our lot we cannot. The culvert was permitted and the fill dirt already in and settled. We are in the flood plain so, must be above a certain level. We are doing the absolute best we can with what we have. We are less about the exterior and it clearly has been our last consideration.
  • cwachendo
    Original Author
    5 years ago

homechef59 - I dont think I ever said anything about a ranch or rambler?? I do like modern farmhouse but I am not married to that idea - just stated to give people an idea of my style, mostly though I like clean lines. Monotone, is an option, but I wont get rid of my black windows - those I love. I also won't do stucco.

• chicagoans
    5 years ago

First I'll admit that I'm not anywhere near a professional and I didn't read every post. Now I'll say that I'm biased toward simplicity and I love white, especially for a farmhouse aesthetic. For that reason if it were my house (which of course it's not) I'd pick one siding, white, wide vertical. To me, simple is beautiful.

For the front facing garage I'd recommend getting very nice doors. (I've been very happy with my Clopay doors, now 10 years old.) Yes, they're expensive but it's a big part of your facade and therefore (IMO) important. And the ones you choose can completely change how your house looks, whether you go for something that blends, something that stands out / matches the roof, or something that embraces the "farmhouse" thought like a totally red garage with white doors.

Lots of examples online for inspiration.

• PRO
    dEmios Architects
    5 years ago

I didn't read every post carefully, but here is my thought. I don't know if it is too late to change rooflines, but to me a farmhouse has a steeply pitched roof. I live in New England so I don't know what farmhouses look like in north dakota.

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Hi there! Since we only supplied the windows I had to check the plans for you. The material listed for the wood siding on the Spokane Modern Farmhouse is:

"6" W VERTICAL CEDAR T&G, SQUARE EDGE, FINE LINE, SMOOTH SIDE OUT, ECO TREATMENT"

I'm not sure how it holds up to the elements since that is outside my expertise. Spokane's winters would be considered mild compared to you in ND.

Hope this helps!

• Bette P
    5 years ago

I would have considered a double garage appearance from the front with one of the bays being two car depth. One bay will be stuff, not a vehicle.

• PRO
    Lion Windows and Doors
    5 years ago

Love your ideas. Congrats on the new home! It's going to be beautiful

• PRO
    PPF.
    5 years ago

PPF, id appreciate your suggestions on how to change those two top windows to make flow better. Those have always been a point of contention.

The problem is, it's not specifically the windows, it is how the different parts of the house do not work together.

You need to work towards reducing the visual weight of the 2nd floor above the porch, and change the windows, and whatever else it takes to create a harmonious composition.

I could make the house pleasing to me, but it would likely not please you.

• cwachendo
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Chicagoans! I really like the all white a lot more!

• Holly Stockley
    5 years ago

I do think the all white version has a lot to recommend it over the others.

I think this is one of those situations where "modern farmhouse" gets us into trouble. It's such a fluid term with no actual architectural meaning. You got the "modern" part, I think. But "farmhouse" isn't really an architectural style. So what elements of "Farmhouse" should be brought in? I think you're wise to avoid just trying to use "modern farmhouse" colors on a plan that isn't really farmhouse-y at all. Gables? Not all farm houses are gabled? Foursquares, for instance. While different windows and another roof pitch might get you a step closer, I don't think you can reach "farmhouse" of any flavor from here.

Therefore, stay faithful to what the house is telling you. The white is good. I also like PPF's grey - lessening the contrast makes it flow a little better.

Virgil, for the lurkers here in the audience, how would lessening the roof over the garage work? Would the pitch get lower, and would that be an issue for snow/rain?

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

Holly, there are various strategies to reduce the height and ridge intersection of the roof over the garage.

It's difficult to be sure what's real and what may be pictorial distortion, but it appears the pitch of the garage roof may be steeper than that of the house. If so, decreasing the pitch is certainly one strategy.

Another strategy is to fragment and reduce the overall roof by reflecting on the fact that the garage facade is actually two planes, thus enabling the roof to respond to the two different planes, rather than simply being a large, single "cap" over the entire garage.

A third strategy is to make the garage roof two simple gables, one for the facade with two doors, and another intersecting gable for the single door facade.

Any pitch of 3/12 or more will work. Shifting the garage floor plan a bit will also help.

It appears what may have happened is a preoccupation with an intial floor plan unitl it was "perfect", and only thereafter was a roof design considered, resulting in something which simply keeps the rain out of the "perfect" plan, but which results in a very unresolved exterior.

This is the sort of thing which frequently happens when one considers only one step of the design at a time, in a sequential process, rather than a holistic and integrated design process.

• cwachendo
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Virgil - hindsight is always 20/20. That is exactly what happened.

Holly, I didn't realize modern farmhouse would send so many responders into a tizzy (not you). I am definitely abandoning the idea of farmhouse. We changed some planes, pitches, windows - overall did the white, with a light wood accent area and we really love our "GARAGE HOUSE" (slightly spiteful with that term ;)) and cant wait to go through this process to the end result.

• Elin
    5 years ago
    post updates
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

When you start construction, keep a very close watch on the framing, especially when the garage roof framing starts to ensure that the garage roof ridge is placed below the eve line of the second floor roof.

With only a few on-site measurment miscalculations, the ridge could easily wind up above the eve line of the second floor roof and become even larger than the perspective drawing shows.

It should be one the items on your critical list.

Good luck on your project.

5 years ago

I didn't realize modern farmhouse would send so many responders into a tizzy

The term doesn't send responders into a tizzy, but it does prompt them to start warning the prospective homeowner that, as you discovered, there is a good chance of design problems ahead that can adversely affect the build and the homeowner's enjoyment of the final product. That's because, as Holly explained, modern farmhouse isn't an actual architectural style, it's a series of elements popularized by Joanna Gaines and others. And as PPF mentioned above, the problem is how the different parts/elements of a house don't work together.

What some forum users don't understand is that when the people here offer critiques -- and some can be quite blunt, and usually the blunter the critique, the more concerned the pros and experienced amateurs are -- for interior layouts and exterior elevations, it isn't to be mean or snarky, but to alert the prospective homebuilder that expensive, time consuming, and unpleasant to live with mistakes and consequences are on the horizon if the homebuilder isn't willing to understand the suggestions; a phrase that often comes up here is "you don't know what you don't know", and yet it's often an uneasy sense that a design isn't quite right -- that "struggle" you mentioned in your original post, that brings posters here for the first time. That's a very valuable inner voice and more people should listen to it : ) .

As GardenWeb member Buehl has written on the Kitchen forum FAQs, and it certainly applies here in the Building a Home forum:

When asking questions (e.g., asking for layout help), please keep in mind that everyone here is trying to help, not criticize maliciously. Some of us can be blunt, but no one is out to deliberately insult or hurt anyone. When your kitchen is done, we want you to have a kitchen that functions wonderfully well and looks nice overall -- but the process will take time and may entail comments that many times you won't want to hear (e.g., when a layout is dysfunctional). We strongly recommend you "keep listening" to what others have to say but, in the end, you don't have to take any advice given here. It's your kitchen and you are the one who will make the final decisions!

It is definitely a process : ) .

• cwachendo
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Agree! Maybe it’s the approach that got me. There was some great advice given that I did take and I’m so glad. But some just saying to stop the build Or that it’s a garage house, slightly annoying. That’s Neither here nor there, though. The inside is so functional and flowing and not a single square foot is wasted on a hallway. It’s the house we dreamed of.

Luckily we only live 1 Mile from the build site so we are there daily to check process so we will definitely watch the roof lines. Luckily our builder is an engineer by trade, so he has a considerable amount of communication and expectation of the subs.
  • Elin
    4 years ago
    any updates?
  • Bri Bosh
    4 years ago
    Following!
  • cwachendo
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• cwachendo
    Original Author
    4 years ago