SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_henfling

Help with covered patio design.

Michelle
5 years ago

We are in the process of getting quotes for a covered patio for the back of our house. We have an existing 21 ft small covered patio. There are a couple of challenges: 1. I want to leave enough room in the yard for a pool (in 3 yrs when my daughter knows how to swim), so location and size is important 2. we have a unique roof line, so we are considering both "tie-in" and free-standing options.

Thus far we have 3 estimates being worked up, with two more (maybe) contractors to come give estimates. Please forgive my rough pictures, it's the best I could do with powerpoint :)

The first recommended placing the patio on the far left side of the house (see attachment 1). This contractor didn't want to mess with roof line in the middle for a big patio. He said we could add this covered triangular section to connect the two covered areas. The pro to this one, to me, is that it leaves the most room to the right for the pool, which I want to be infront of the 3 windows on the right.

The next 2 quotes suggested putting the patio right in the middle (see attachment 2). The difference is that one said the roof line was not a problem and the other said he didn't think it was doable, and recommended a freestanding structure. This option limits my pool space infront of the 3 windows (15ft), but I think there is room to extend the pool infront of the patio. One of them also said that you don't want to shuffle down the side of your house to get to your big patio. The door to the existing cover patio is by the 3 windows.

What are your thoughts? Thank you!!

Comments (4)