SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

Sharing a tip on how to ensure soil doesn't erode through holes

Lynn Nevins
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

With container gardening, unless there are exceptions/plants I'm not aware of, you always want to ensure there are a few holes in the bottom of the pot. This ensures that after watering, that excess water can drain out of the bottom of the planter.

However, you also need to figure out a way to cover up the holes somewhat, so that while the water can still drain out, that your potting soil doesn't go right out the holes along with the water.

In the past, I'd put a layer of rocks all across the bottom of the planter, before adding the potting soil and other amendments. However, this process required that I 1) always have rocks on-hand and 2) it made the planters that much heavier when I had to move them around. Seeing as I'm petite, and also seeing as I don't have a car, NOR much storage space.... well, it was always a pain making sure I had rocks for all my planters.

I know that another option that some people do is they'll use seashells, or perhaps broken shards of a terra cotta plant to cover the holes in the bottom of planters, but again, it was hard for me to source such things, and then have to store them somewhere.

Anyway, I finally found a great solution that adds no weight to my planters, and it's super efficient, will last me a long time, and takes up little storage space.

Basically, it's Drywall Joint Tape, which I got at a hardware store. As you can see in the photo, it comes in a roll. As you unroll it, the underside is sticky. I was able to very easily cut out a length of the tape, and simply press it down in the bottom of an empty planter, and over each hole. And yet, the water flowed through easily.

I'm so happy I found this solution. Thought I'd share in case helpful for anyone else!

P.S. Sorry...the photo is simply NOT attaching, despite three separate tries. Not sure why I have so much trouble adding pix on this website....

Comments (20)