SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

long term care insurance

3katz4me
5 years ago

What do you think about this? I did a search on the KT and found some opinions about a year old or more. I signed up for this when offered through my employer with no medical exam required. Since I have some preexisting conditions I thought it was worth considering and my financial advisor reviewed the policy and said yes, get it. I think I've had it for about five years - premiums are reasonable have have only gone up once by a nominal amount.

This year however the premium is increasing by 15% and I'm forewarned it will be another 15% next year. I'm going to confirm tomorrow what the maximum lifetime benefit is but based on what I believe it to be I'm thinking I may cancel this and cut my losses before I sink any more into it. It's not like it pays 100% of my LTC expense and I believe I have enough $ to cover the maximum it would pay which could end up being a very small % of my total bill if I ever need LTC.

I'm thinking LTC insurance may not be a viable product in the long run. So many companies are dropping it and I read so much about premiums going up to the point that it doesn't seem worth it for the amount of coverage provided. My MIL was in a LTC facility for eleven years. FIL had a policy for some coverage for three years but after that it was private pay. They were not wealthy but were frugal, depression era folks who lived below their means. So I've seen how at least one scenario has gone.

Comments (21)