SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lbee77

Toxic Kitchen Cabinets!!!

Lisa Bee
5 years ago

Ok folks, we just wrapped up our renovation. And we can't live in the house. The custom cabinetry is off gassing formaldehyde. We have moved out for a month but it still smells.

What recourse do I have? (if any). We had the cabinet maker remove the custom library as that stunk the worst and the air immediately improved. So now it's the kitchen and bathroom vanities.

Do I keep renting and wait out the off gassing? Do I rip out the kitchen and redo with a "green" product or do I sell the damn house?!?!?

This was no cheap kitchen either. Fully custom, plywood boxes etc. He said he used a 'post catalyzed' top of the line lacquer from Chemcraft. He had the paint company look a the library and they said 'the paint was fine'. ie: it was applied properly, not over catalyzed, proper thickness etc.

Paint guy said it should be fully cured in 1-3 weeks. But with recent humidity it could take longer. It's now been 5 weeks. We tested the air samples and it showed high levels of formaldehyde and other paint related VOC's.

FWIW - for those familiar with Toronto. This is the same cabinet maker to does the cabinets for the Princess Margaret Lottery Show home.

Anyone experience this?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
More Discussions