SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_568742328

Help, Canned Salmon!!

HU-568742328
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

So I bit the bullet and got a Mirro / t-fal 22qt pressure canner. I just took my first 14 jars of Coho out of the pressure canner,put them on a towel on the counter, and I noticed that 8 of the 14 jars arent bubbling inside. There was a rack and 2 layers of jars in the canner (2x7). All the top layer jars, and one from the bottom row arent bubbling. The 6 bubbling jars lids look flat, but the 8 non bubbling jars lids have a visible bump. I havent heard and seal pops as they cool. its only been about 45 minutes. I have a bad feeling the none bubbling jars won't seal and something ain't right...

I did my first 14 quart jars (manual says you can fit 16, but I liked a bit more space inside). I followed the instructions exactly. Boiled the lids, washed the new jars well first, Packed salmon leaving an inch of head space, pushed down tight and got as much air out as possible (still small pockets of air no matter what I did). 500ml/pint size jars. I added 1 tspn of sea salt and 1 tspn of vinegar, wiped the glass seals very well with paper towel and vinegar, finger tip tighten, place into canner with 2.5 quarts of water, rack on bottom and rack between 2 jar layers (2 layers of 7 pint jars = 14 jars), put lid on, bring to max temp, once steam blasting out wait 10 minutes then put on 10lb weight, once starts spinning set timer 100 minutes and turn down to where it only spins a few times a minute, once 100 minutes done turn off stove, wait for red pressure indicated/handle lock to disengage, take off the 10lb weight, take off lid, place jars on towel.

The only thing that kinda got messed up was I waited quite a while for the steam to start in the beginning and then set the 10 minute timer. After the 10 minutes I wondered why the pressure indicator /handle lock (red botton that pops up indicating pressure is building) wasnt up yet, so i touched it and it popped up, it needed a nudge, I then wondered if I needed that pressure indicator up for the 10 minute steam timer, as i could see steam coming out of the pressure indicator while timing thr main steam release for 10 min. So I waited 5 more minutes with the pressure indicator now engaged (after having timed 10 minutes already, and steam exiting the release valve, then placed 10lb weight. I wonder if that is part of the problem?

Help please.

Comments (2)