SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
persimmonbob

Basic fig 1-0-1.

Monyet
5 years ago

Been with figs for a good while. Grow them 2 ways, inground and container. I like to touch on container. The way i do them, start with a container that has square drain holes, large ones, prefer 15 20 gl ones, fill with mix of your choice, do not have to be completely to the top, this part is not that important. Put the container on level ground, i mean level. If your container is not level water will flow the point of least resistance, not good. My tree's are in the garage for the winter, put in the garage around the first part of December and out in Februari/March.

When tree's are outside, collect a couple inches of mulch( old leaves and what not) put around the container, just 4 or 5" wide, than some rocks on top of the mulch to hold.

Roots will come out the drain holes and going in the soil at this time the tree will really take-of. Roots will not fill square drainholes so you still have drainage. You be surprise at how much fertilizer flows in the surrounding soil adjacent to the container. Very little watering and you can go on vacation.

This tree does not depend from the mix in the pot. In the fall clean around the pot and chop all the roots of and bring in. Any question?

Comments (47)