SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wilhaines

Tidbit about lawn watering.

Wil Haines
5 years ago

I am fortunate to have an in-ground sprinkling system that is hooked to my computer, ipad, and iphone. My home was purchased with about 40% of the lawn (front of house) already sprinkled. Then I installed another 10 zones to finish it out. I added a Rachio wi-fi controller. I feel certain many other brands will work just as well, but I am pleased with the Rachio at this time. I use Toro T-5 heads for most of the lawn. Recently, while visiting Walmart, I noticed an Orbit bluetooth controller on seasonal mark-down sale (about 50%). I bought it because I have a border area between my lawn and a neighbors lawn that is not watered by my system. I fudged (with their permission) a bit and killed some of their weeds along the border. Now, I am getting ready to seed that relatively small area and will be using the new blue tooth controller that gets connected to a garden hose. I have other hose-type Orbit (I think) controllers that can be programmed pretty well, but having the blue tooth controller allows me to customize the time and frequency just like I do with the Rachio controller. In short, it helps simplify the chore of keeping the grass moist while it is germinating. On rainy days, I disable it and on hot days, I can add more time or whatever to keep the ground moist. Actually, the Rachio can be set to skip rainy days, based upon weather reports, but I manually control that for the time being. I thought the new Orbit blue tooth might be of interest to those who need to spot water lawn areas that have been reworked. And there are always areas that come up a bit short with a sprinkler system unless you are lucky. I recently went on a weekend trip and was able to water my lawn remotely as I saw fit (weather watching), even while in Tennessee. In my opinion, the watering and time of year is one of the most important aspects of reseeding, along with visual moisture confirmations. I'm no expert, but from what I read, that seems to be true. I have no ties to Rachio or Orbit, but thought this might be somewhat helpful. Thanks again for a great group of forum advisers.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH