SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

"Baretta St. Bourbon"

jerijen
5 years ago

"Baretta St. Bourbon"

If you look this lovely found rose up on HelpMeFind Roses ...

http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.20455

. . . you will find some lovely photos, courtesy of Janelle Michel -- along with a historic illustration of a rose that someone thought this might be:

'Gloire de Margottin'

-- Hybrid Perpetual, 1887.

Does anyone know who suggested that identification?

I gather that Fred Boutin, who found "Baretta St. Bourbon" suggests it is a double version of 'Gloire des Rosomanes.' (which is mostly why I bought it).

I notice that 'Gloire des Rosomanes' is the only recorded parent of 'Gloire de Margottin' -- and that the illustration of GdM has leaves that are a dead match for the leaves of "Baretta St. Bourbon" (and pretty neat looking, too).

Also -- There is no listed source for 'Gloire de Margottin'. (And no photographs of it.) Does anyone know if it is extinct?

(Frankly, breeding records from those early days are "iffy." I suppose it is possible that 'Gloire de Margottin' really IS a double sport of 'Gloire des Rosomanes' ("Ragged Robin"). There's probably no way to know.)

Photos to follow in "comments" because ... you know ... they won't post here. But I suggest you also check the HMF entry on "Baretta St. Bourbon".

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!