SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bardzil

Tyvek not sealed at bottom of wall and not overlapped 6" at seams

5 years ago

Our contractor installed tyvek without overlapping the seams 6". My guess is he overlapped the tyvek maybe 2-3" and hopefully he also taped the seams. The siding is already up (although we have to remove a large amount of it to correct windows that were flashed incorrectly). My question is should i have him remove all the siding on the house and redo the tyvek if we find out that he did not overlap the tyvek 6" as required and/or did not tape all the vertical tyvek seams?

Also, our contractor did not seal the tyvek at the bottom of the walls. We have only the minimum 6" between the bottom of our walls/siding and the ground. How important would it be to seal the bottom of the tyvek since it is recommended (but not required) by both Hardi and Tyvek that it be sealed at the bottom?

Our contractor flashed the windows incorrectly and has agreed to remove the siding around windows and redo the flashing. However, now i'm worried we may need him to remove 100% of the siding and redo the tyvek.

What should i do? How critical is it to follow the instructions and recommendations above exactly?

Comments (27)