SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_512714

Fertilizer Question

HU-512714
5 years ago

I have been thinking about organic fertilizers versus nonorganic. My question is about the duration of effect of the fertilizers you add. If I were to put some granular fertilizer, say 10-10-10 on my garden, I had the feeling it would be there for the season and that 100 pounds of it would contain 10 pounds of nitrogen, 10 pounds of phosphate and 10 pounds of potassium, all soon available to the plant. If there was a similar 10-10-10 that was water soluble fertilizer, I thought that would be available pretty much immediately after added but might not last the season as it could get leached out of the soil more rapidly since it was all water soluble. On the other hand if I added to my soil some composted cow manure which is about 1-1-1 there would be a lot more NPK which would not be available until organisms in the soil actually broke it down. Only the 1-1-1 part would initially be there for the plants. If you agree with this so far, my question is does something like bone meal 3-15-0 release the ingredients listed over a short period of time, say one season, or over a long period of time as it is broken down by soil organisms. Is what is listed, on the bone meal package all that will ever be available from the bone meal added or is there more that will be available as the bone meal breaks down? My question has to do with total nutrient contained in an organic substance and the time frame for release to plants. The same thought goes to feather meal, fish meal etc. Is what is listed on the package what you can expect to have available during one growing season? Marv

Comments (21)